Kia Sedona On Cooking Oil

Guest craig cowley

Guest craig cowley

i was just wondering if anyone has had experiance of running a kia sedona on cooking oil mix

i am thinking of doing this and paying the duty of course as it could work out a lot cheaper than diesel out of the pump.

any comments appreaciated

the sedona has a 2.9l crdi engine.

I once herd about a friend of a friend , a long time ago in a different country and he's dead now but he used to use cooking oil in a car he drove only in his front garden.

Anyway, my friend (twice removed) said you can get rapeseed oil from the supermarket (3l bottles) (yes they had supermarkets in his country), if you half fill your tank with derv then run the engine till it's warm i.e. halfway to work and stop and top the other half up with the oil and keep the engine running, then the rest of the journey to work will thoroughly mix the fuel.

The derv keeps the viscosity low so you don't need to bother about heating or altering your engine, it still starts and runs fine. In winter, my friend (twice removed) said to lower the ratio i.e. about 25% oil and when it was really cold he did about 15% oil.

This should be the same for any diesel engine but it's probably best not to do it to an expensive one, I think my friend (twice removed)'s car was a cheap one :)

The duity on fuel is about 42p/leter at the moment weather you use used or un-used oil :gdit:

Guest Battery Bill

Craig

I know someone who used to run their Mondeo TD on Tesco value cooking out £1.32 for 3 litres. If he filled the tank with Tesco's finest he would put in a small Lucozade bottle full of White Spirit Or if there was some diesel in the car not bother with the Spirit.

He swore by it :D :D :D

Apparently the only problem was the hoses that link the injectors tended to perish so they were replaced. :D :D

What if your friend had an expensive common rail diesel engine, say a Renault dCi (which "possibly" has a turbo charger)? Would he have had problems then?

Oh, Bill, did your friend ever encounter problems being locked out of his Mondeo at kit car shows?

Just wondering :ph34r:

Guest jcb1300

Hi

I know of three people running vehicles on Lidles finest cooking oil. They use Lidl because its cheap.

One is a 2003 Citroen, ones a 99 Rover and the others a 95 Citroen.

They run on a 75% Diesel to 25% Sunflower.

None of them have had any problems and have been doing it for a while. Of course they all declare it to the tax man. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Ian

Guest jcb1300

(TD stands for "Turbo Diesel")

Are you sure it isn't Tescos Diluted ????

By the way Bill the sump and the cheques in the post.

Cheers

Ian :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Battery Bill

Terry

Jon,

Seems like you are not the only one enquiring about the Renault dCi SEE HERE

Wrong person :rolleyes: it was Craig who asked

Jon's the Bossy Moanerator :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest TerryBarry
Terry

Wrong person  :rolleyes:  it was Craig who asked

Jon's the Bossy Moanerator  :lol:

Bill,

I'm not sure that I really want to start off down this path - but what the H*ll :rolleyes:

Craig was asking about a Kia Sedona with a 2.9 crdi engine

Jon then asked re' the Renault dCi motor

Terry

Guest Takumi

I used to run my 205 1.7 diesel on Tesco's sunflower oil, often mixing between 25-75% derv.. Performance I thought went down a bit, but the smell was . . . like a burger van!! and a few valuble pence cheaper per mile to run!