Convoy Communication

Big Jim

All those that have been out in convoy on runs, know just what happens, traffic lights or whatever, stop half the cars, which way do we go now? and the next thing you know, there's people lost all over the place!

Up here in the cold North West, we've used 2 way radio's a few times to good effect, but the problem is these are mine (I have 4 that I use for marshaling motorcycle races), and cost around £380 each, to replace. So as you can see I'm somewhat worried that they get lost / stolen/ dropped. It has been suggested that CB radio's could be used now that the whole system has gone very quiet. I think that this is a very good idea, and have also found out that another '7' club use them.

To this end, I've just bought a secondhand one off 'Loot' and will be fixing it in the Hood shortly. I'm sure that there are a lot of old sets stuck in the loft, or garage, now's the chance to make use of them for what they were originally intended.

we could use channel 7 as our channel.

Any thoughts??

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good Jim.

I used to be a CB addicted way back in the eighties.

My only negative thought is how does this stand with the new law on driving while using a mobile phone.

Can you get hands free set ups for CB's?.

Piddy.

Hi All

From my understanding, CB type radios are LEGAL at the moment, dont quote me on that, its in that grey area!! :blink:

If they were banned then taxi drivers would be stuffed, I will look into it further, but it seems like a good idea Jim.

I believe that the new mobile phone law is very specific. as I am aware, if you are using a 'normal' mobile phone whilst *The engine is running* you are committing the offence covered by the new law,(even if you are stopped) however, the use of a microphone, ie Taxi & CB is OK, providing that it is not interferring with your driving, if it was you could be done for *Without care & attention* should you get an overactive Plod.

The beauty about CB is, set it on one channel, put an earpiece in or use a p/sterio headset, set the volume & squelch, you get to hear all messages, so you'll know what to do most of the time without actually picking up the mic. If you do need to ask something, then all you need is the mic, so you don't need to take your eyes off the road to press buttons & dial etc, but obviously don't use the mic when steering.

CB requires a licence, there bulky and have to be fitted to the car, the airels are big as well. Have you thought about thoes small licence free radios? have a look CLICK you can buy loads of them and they will all work together with a rainge up to 3KM

Guest trevor hooley

got baby midland cb, 250watt power amp, and aierial, asked garage to fit to hire car and they have agreed.....

karl

ps try lymm or carnforth truckstops (where the tresure hunt started), good deals on verything you need.