Ignition Timing On A Pinto

agent_zed

Hi,

i did the ignition timing the other day and set it to 10 degrees tdc starting from the right hand side mark (when looking from the front of the engine). Have i been dumb? i was looking at the manual again tonight and it looks like i should have started from the left and counted to the right. If this is the case i would only have 6 degrees not 10.

which way should i read from, ie does 0 start on the left or right.

also if is does start on the left why did i start from the right? am i actually arabic?

thanks

Probably not.

The statistical likelihood is that you are Chinese....just like 1 in 5 of the worlds population

BTW one of the marks is deeper than the rest. Thats TDC.

IIRC the other marks represent 2 degrees each.

I think Haynes has a piccy....

Hi,

i did the ignition timing the other day and set it to 10 degrees tdc starting from the right hand side mark (when looking from the front of the engine). Have i been dumb? i was looking at the manual again tonight and it looks like i should have started from the left and counted to the right. If this is the case i would only have 6 degrees not 10.

which way should i read from, ie does 0 start on the left or right.

also if is does start on the left why did i start from the right? am i actually arabic?

thanks

hi matey iam sure it is before tdc . you need the lines start on the right hand side and ya man is right every line is 2degree what engine are you going with .

Guest combatsapph

The left hand mark - the deep one in this photo - is TDC. Small marks are +2, big marks +4 - so the marks go

deep TDC

small 2adv

big 4adv

small 6adv

big 8adv

small 10adv

big 12adv

one on its own on the right 16adv

So when you set you ign timing up, the timing light should be flashing on one of the marks to the right of the deep one. (I run 14adv just to make it awkward!). Helps to mark the mark you are aiming for with tipex or white paint :-)

100_0800.jpg

I know my TDC mark doesn't line up with the front cover marker - it was just to get a better photo :-)

Edited by combatsapph

Thanks, yep turned out i had it the wrong way so only 6 degrees advance not the 10 degrees haynes says. It makes sense now i think about it as it is before it reaches the top so must be that side as it turns clockwise.

Its only a 1.6 pinto, i hope i have the correct advance now as there are 2 values depending on if it is the Economy engine or not. one is 12 degrees the other is 10. I think mine is the economy. Its the later long stroke engine 165 block.

havent had a chance to test it but hopefully it will be a little more lively it was a bit flat when i took it out last week.

thanks everyone

Zed, you are definitely not arabic! Numbers are written in arabic (and farsi which is similar) left to right. Which, as my Iranian mate tells me, makes it interesting when you start a sentence from the right and then have to work out how much space to leave for a number. Brian