Fuel Tank Breather

Gusty

Hi all,

Decided to remove boot floor this evening to give it an overall. Looking at the fuel tank there is no breather. Can I vent it off the sender where the return fuel line goes as I have no fuel return ? Are the fuel caps breathable?

Cheers

Also thinking of changing the old rubber fuel hose while I'm at it. Any recommendations on fuel pipe?

Guest 2b cruising

Because we are now of the lead free type of people, we need to make sure any fuel pipes we use are recommended by maker.

Can't help you more than that I'm afraid, but I'm sure someone in the know will help you out soon.

Guest Ian & Carole

I used the return inlet on the sender on our 2b, never a problem in 12 years. just get your pipe as high as you can and put a one way valve on the end.

in the old days there was pipe for carb and pipe for injection. I think the injection pipe was reinforced. It's probably all reinforced now but something to check perhaps in case there is old stuff kicking around on ebay.

Probably a bit OTT but the standard Superspec fit (Ford Fiesta tank) has 2 breathers. There is a very small one that just vents into the boot (for day-to-day driving) and a much larger one that comes out of the tank and goes into the filler cap neck. That one allows me to fill tank at full pressure from a petrol pump.

Ok quick update. I think I may have found the answer to most of my problems! The fuel gauge only ever moved a little and hovered around the red. I have just removed the sender and the tank is full of fuel but indicating virtually empty. The sender had almost rotted all the way through and seized solid! I have never seen anything like it! The fuel pick up was a rubber hose with a nylon brading which had disintegrated and rotten which has almost completely blocked the pick up. I should imagine the fuel tank is full of rust as well. Any suggestions ? Definitely need a new sender. Any info greatly appreciated

Cheers

Unless you plan to take the tank out and clean it out properly just make sure you fit an in-line disposable filter. My tank was full of silt of various origins and rusty as well so I took it out and shook out as much muck as I could then put a few handfuls of fine gravel and shook that around for an hour or so until my arms felt like they were dropping off. Rinsed it out with diesel then a bit of petrol, left it to evaporate then put a vacuum cleaner nozzle in to get any remaining dust and then treated it with POR fuel tank sealer.inside still looks perfect after several years. Lot of work but worth it.

The senders are not too expensive just make sure you get the right resistance to match the gauge. You can get adjustable length ones and I bent mine lots of times until I got a meaningful gauge reading

Guest 2b cruising

Don't put the gauze filter in the tank or you will be removing you sender unit very often.

Use an external in line paper type one close to the tank on the supply line.

Glass or plastic bowl type so you can see how it s during normal check over times.

Edited by 2b cruising

Hi Guys,

The tank is in very good shape thank goodness . Just bought a sender from GBS. Will replace fuel hose tomoz. The valve for the breather, can it be any one way valve? Any particular brands etc??

Cheers Andy

PS . Planning on putting a filter tank end and carb end. Will this be ok?

I looked at the one way fuel valves and decided that I couldn't really justify the asking price. What I wanted was a breather that could breath but not let any fuel out if there was an accident that left the car inverted. After a bit of research I fitted a long piece of hose that came higher than the top of the fuel so that fuel couldn't come out in normal use and then went down below the bottom of the tank so that the end would be higher than the tank if the car was upside down. Fixed it all in place with cable ties.

I made sure that the end is not inside the car and away from the exhaust or anything else that could damage it