Mot Query

the_gambler

I put my Robin Hood through the MOT yesterday, in Northern Ireland. This is my eighth MOT with this car, it was turned down on one point my speedo was calibrated in MPH only, and should have been in MPH and KPH. Has anyone had experience of this. I believe this must be a Northern Ireland thing.

Just looked at the NI mot manual online briefly it says

If car is registered on or after 1 April 1984 then must read in mph and kph

BUT

If issued with an SVA or IVA certificate then it only needs to read in mph

https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/doe/motoring-guidance-light-vehicle-inspection-manual.pdf#page164

Hope that helps

Guest 2b cruising

Nice one CB.

Midlife, just copy the document and take it along with you.

Be nice on presentation but if they ask for payment, be nasty. You should get the payment for training there staff.

Thanks for that. That explains a lot. He sent me home to get my SVA certificate ( a round trip of 30 miles ) on going back I reported to the office who then issued me with my mot cert. Over here all our mot centres are government run and not private garages as in the rest of the uk. At the time the inspector asked me if the car had done its sva in England or Northern Ireland. He said if its done in Northern Ireland it is a requirement that it has mph & kph. Fortunately for me mine was done in England. Even though I have put my car through 8 mots this is the first time I have had this problem. It just means that I will have to bring my sva with me in future for every mot. Don't you just love bureaucracy. :acute: