Engine Swap

fry61

Guest jimmytwobikes

The 2.0 L engine is nice but the 1.8 L engine is more common and often cheaper to buy, its only 15hp shy of the 2.0L and has the flywheel you need from the off. modest "tuning" will give 165hp on the 2.0L and around 150hp on the 1.8L way better than the CVH and likely better fuel economy. the extra 15hp for the 2.0L will only really be noticed on the track, so don’t loose sleep over finding one.

Hi Snowy, I hope you dont mind but i would like to as a question about your post, I want to zetec my 2B, currently 2.0 pinto, will the 1.8 zetec fit directly on to my type 9 gearbox? will i need different clutch?

The 1.8 zetec uses the old ford bolt pattern so bolts straight on to a type 9 gearbox. Standard 1.8 zetec flywheel is fine. With the zetec diaphragm and spinner on use Quinton Hazel release bearing CCT133 or equivalent.

For a stronger clutch have the flywheel drilled and dowelled for the 2.0L pinto diaphragm and spinner and use QH release bearing CCT132(the old pinto one!) On a 1.8 zetec this is probably overkill and unnecessary.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder