Misfire Under Load

wowblaauw

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, and I really mean finally.

Just one thing though and given the original symptoms, I agree with all comments regarding the high tension circuit, that leads, coil pack etc. as mentioned I replaced the whole lot.

Ok, so finally, it was the HP fuel filter. When running new fuel lines I replaced the filter (Sytec) and pump as well. I had (several weeks ago) replaced the new HP pump with the original I’d taken out but with still the same issue. This is the first spare weeekend for more than a month. So with my 3 month old baby we planned a complete strip of the fuel system and a rebuild. Late Friday during final stage she gurgled and I interpreted as change the filter. I had bought a new Epman from the bay and thought maybe I carry out a quick filter change first. While I was at it I checked the line from swirl pot to the filter, fuel ran freely, ok. Then changed the filter, tested for leaks, all good. Time to fire up. Wow, instant catch and running. Once warmed, checked the fuel pressure and brought back down to 3 bar and tested. All good so far, so with a final wave to the baby off I went on the test. Well, I couldn’t believe the change! Christ I thought, I better slow down, responsibilities etc. A 10 minute test became two tanks of fuel and a frustrated mummy; daddy not doing his chores...

So finally, all the issues fixed and on the 10th month anniversary from the day I started to strip the car. What a journey. The ups and downs, guess it’s all part of the fun eh!

Thank you all for all of your comments and help, very much appreciated.

What next? Handling! With all this new power, talk about bump steer, skittish handling, no confidence in turning in, bouncing all over the place...

Cheers, Craig

Guest mcramsay

If it makes you feel any better, my Marlin passed its IVA nearly a year ago now, and it took me the whole summer to get the car to the stage now where I can drive it and not worry about overheating. It only took changing the radiator and replumbing the cooling system, then changing the water pump & modified thermostat to then fit an electric water pump, which didnt work so I then had to revert to the old set up blah blah blah, after 6 months of messing around in the little time I have had off work I have finally found a set up that works just in time for cold dark wet nights!

In the background I know the car handles like a pig and needs the suspension set up correctly... I had a proper brown pants moment when the back end stepped out when changing from first to second when I was booting it.

Suspension set up is really really important in these cars and is the next thing on my list to get sorted... professionally

• 2 years later...

All,

was just going through some old posts and realised I never got round to updating this issue and of course thanking everyone for their input. Thank you very much, it helped me get to the real issue - a new fuel filter. As soon as I replaced the filter it sorted the misfire under load.

fantastic resource

Cheers

Craig