Harnesses

Guest Hammy360

Guest Hammy360

I have Luke harnesses fitted and have added a photo as I want to know if the trim is sufficient for IVA. If not can anyone tell me what needs to be done

harness.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're unlikely to get a definitive answer on this as it will depend on the tester but it might fail on the sharp edges on the catch that releases the belt from the eye bolt - my belts didn't have the catch and were retained with a hex bolt (with nut cover) through the belt and they still failed on the 'sharp edges' around the metal of the belt.

I made 4 small ally covers, covered with foam and vinyl to cover the entire end of the belt.

For IVA I'd be more concerned about the belts passing through the holes in the seat back. Under load, the belts look like they will pull tight against the outside of the belt slots - you may need to demonstrate that the seat is strong enough to support this load. Alternatively, see if routing the belt around the headrest part of the seat still allows them to pass over your shoulders when worm. The belts are most effective when then are routed in a straight line before they are under load, kinks in the belt will pull straight under load meaning you move forward.

Guest Hammy360

You're unlikely to get a definitive answer on this as it will depend on the tester but it might fail on the sharp edges on the catch that releases the belt from the eye bolt - my belts didn't have the catch and were retained with a hex bolt (with nut cover) through the belt and they still failed on the 'sharp edges' around the metal of the belt.

I made 4 small ally covers, covered with foam and vinyl to cover the entire end of the belt.

For IVA I'd be more concerned about the belts passing through the holes in the seat back. Under load, the belts look like they will pull tight against the outside of the belt slots - you may need to demonstrate that the seat is strong enough to support this load. Alternatively, see if routing the belt around the headrest part of the seat still allows them to pass over your shoulders when worm. The belts are most effective when then are routed in a straight line before they are under load, kinks in the belt will pull straight under load meaning you move forward.

Interesting as theyre GBS seats and GBS harness mounting points. Cheers

Interesting as theyre GBS seats and GBS harness mounting points. Cheers

I know, which is why you'd expect them to be in line with one another. Plenty of cars have probably have passed with these seats and harness positions so don't give up hope but if they're tested to the letter of the IVA manual they'd almost certainly fail. The problem (or not, depending on how you look at it) is that different examiners will have different interpretations of the regulations.

On my IVA (at Derby) the tester was also training another examiner so I knew I was in for a rough ride and is why I failed on my upper harness mounts and also even sharp edges on my spare wheel (that's on the tread of the tyre - not the actual wheel!).

My personal view is that GBS shouldn't provide a chassis with seatbelt mounts that aren't positioned correctly for their own seats and should either leave the mounts off and let the builder fit them, fit the mounts when the builder has told them what seats are being fitted or provide a number of mounting positions to allow some adjustment.

For IVA you can run the belts round the seat that way the seat is not assessed for strength.

If it were me and as you have easily removable belts, run it as it is now, if the examiner is not happy, remove and wrap round ask him to asses again, if it fails at this point, take it home and reweld the mounts

Guest sandy77uk

mine went through with the belts through the seats, I have heard of people failing with belts round the seats as the belts pull on the seat itself

as snapper says, its a bit hit and miss and is down to the examiner and what sort of day he is having

never heard of a zero failing with the standard seats and mounts.

the mounts are positioned to give owners the option of using different seats, the seats supplied by GBS are designed to take the load.

putting the straps around the headrest will mean they are not positioned on the occupant correctly (fail)

must agree, the clips on the belts may cause a problem.

easy enough to make a cover out of a strip of rubber, like the strip that comes with the windscreen kit.

GBS will tell you how.

Regards

Guest Hammy360

Yeah Dave I remember we spoke about that before and the gear is in my IVA roadtrip bag (which seems to be getting bigger lol)

Also Dave whats your opinion on the seats / belt routing mentioned above mate?

Edited by Hammy

Guest dinger

Leave them like they are, the only poor point with harnesses in the zero is the lap strap fixing point,, You need to be able to adjust the lap belt length whilst sat in the car, depending on the harness used the adjuster can tight between the seat and the tunnel,

Check it can easiyl be adjusted whilst sat in the seat, if its tight then spray some silicone spray on the strap 4 inches either side of the adjuster and work it back and forth..

When the car passes make sure to clean the belts with some carb cleaner to remove the silicone, (you wouldnt want the lap belt part slipping loose when your upside down sliding down the road)

Guest Hammy360

Leave them like they are, the only poor point with harnesses in the zero is the lap strap fixing point,, You need to be able to adjust the lap belt length whilst sat in the car, depending on the harness used the adjuster can tight between the seat and the tunnel,

Check it can easiyl be adjusted whilst sat in the seat, if its tight then spray some silicone spray on the strap 4 inches either side of the adjuster and work it back and forth..

When the car passes make sure to clean the belts with some carb cleaner to remove the silicone, (you wouldnt want the lap belt part slipping loose when your upside down sliding down the road)

cheers Dave, checked the adjustment a couple of weeks ago and all working well mate

"the seats sold by GBS are designed to take the load"?????

How do you know that, is there technical documentation to prove that?

If so you would need to produce that at IVA if the examiner requested proof

"the seats sold by GBS are designed to take the load"?????

How do you know that, is there technical documentation to prove that?

If so you would need to produce that at IVA if the examiner requested proof

trust me, you don't, and they pass as they are.

the only known issue, except for sharp edges

I had the same comment about the lap strap adjuster being difficult to reach from the examiner.

(GBS harness and seats) He thought that they were narrow seats until I said the car was the wide version and that the mounting points for the lap part had been moved forward to accomodate the adjuster.

He was happy with the harness going through the loops in the seat back and as my top mounts were below the boot surface I had put on, edges weren't a problem.

Simon.