Feedback Before Iva Application

MarkBzero

Guest JammyJim

I had a pre Mot local Garage only charged me £30, at least you will know it's safe to drive. IVA breake test is lot more involverd, and at MOT they do not test for sharp edges or noise level. but the more you can eliminate now the less chance of fail. I would Pre MOT if again in same situation again

Self- amalgamating tape to take out all the "sharp" bits, then your heat-shrink sleevesto make it all as neat as the car. Must be considered a permanent job as a knife will be needed to remove

Guest AndyJW

Nice looking car! Just a note on the bonnet, mine sits flush to the scuttle, seems to be either you get a flush fit or not. Interesting to see variables on the same car....

• 2 months later...

All tasks completed and pre-MOT OK, new brakes needed warming up and emissions adjusted. Still concerned slightly about the noise level. All IVA paper work completed and posted. IVA1, IVA4, build photos (sent 20 random pictures), copy of DVLA letter confirming chassis number, copy of invoice for zero kit and selection of other invoices for major components and safety items.

Sit back and wait....applying for Kidderminster test centre, has anybody got any experience with them?

Still concerned slightly about the noise level.

If you have any concern about the noise level and you can't check it accurately beforehand then you should consider some additional noise reduction measures for the test. Better to have it too quiet than too noisy and fail on something that could be avoided.

You could put a perforated disc inside the silencer on the outlet - this shoiuld increase the backpressure and make the silencer more effective. Just make sure the engine is still capable of revving to 75% of the maximum power rpm as this is the speed they test the noise at.

As theduck mentioned, Keith the tester at Kiddy was being trained and sat in on my test at Derby. He seemed a decent bloke, proper enthusiast, into his cars and also had some useful suggestions for solutions to some of my fail points

• 3 weeks later...

I had a call from IVA technical people today challenging my engine number and declared top speed, they were OK about the engine number when I explain the donor was a South African ford sierra import. The top speed in the handbook is documented as 87 mph but this was too low in their experience, they want to know the top speed of the kitcar fitted with the 1.6 crossflow. I said I don't actually know, what would you expect? He suggested a figure that was acceptable.

Why do they need to know top speed? I understand max rpm, but not top speed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...