Oil Light

jaimo

i was just checking the plug in back off dash (sierra) as temp gauge wasnt working earted it out and it worked so not dash i then checked oil light dont know why but was lookig for fuel gauge pin to check that i earthed out oil light it went off now no matter if i turn inition on and off etc oil light wont come on and is earth all tie if i short ut to positive as if just turned ignition off the light comes on its as if oil switch is stuck saying enough oil pressure but didnt start car was just earthed at back of dash any ideas guys this car is driving me mad

Might help a bit if I can.The sierra dash has a positive supply from a source that is only live with the ignition on, Probably on pin 7. The way the oil light works is it uses this pos supply on one side of the bulb, through the bulb and leaves the dash, usually in a brown/green wire to go to the oil pressure switch on the block. When there is no/low oil pressure it earths through the switch to the block and the light is on. When oil pressure is good the switch is opened and it can no longer earth so the dash light goes out. The oil lamp in the dash is removable from the back of the dash and the bulbs do sometimes blow.

That positive supply to the dash is important as it also runs the low brake fluid/handbrake lamp, ignition light, rev counter, temp and fuel gauges. So if the ignition lamp or brake warning come on with ignition you know that one side of the oil light is getting its volts. Quick check of the lamp itself and wire to switch is to earth the wire at the switch direct to the block. If the lamp comes on the switch is duff. If the lamp doesn't come on the bulb might be blown or there could be a break in the wire between the dash and the oil pressure switch. Hope that helps give you direction to find the prob.

Nigel

The clocks have got the live feed but if you put tester probe into plug on clocks the oil light wire is earthed if I put positive feed into wire the light comes on so bulb etc OK tester wire at switch earthed out nothing happened at clocks I must of done something as was OK till I stuck tester in back of plug at clocks help

Thought about it and sort of worked it out in my head it looks like I have shorted the dash out and now the oilblight circuit is not getting a live feed but rest of dash clocks are