Fibreglass Repair

nelmo

Following on from my wing-ejection event, I need to try and repair some damage, if possible.

I've never done any such repair before so any advice would be helpful. Below is a pic of the damage. It looks like there is a thick layer of plastic over the fibreglass - is that right or is that how fibreglass comes out after buffing up? Is it repairable?

wing.jpg

The gloss finish is the coloured gelcoat that's applied first when laying up the guard in its mold. The stranded glass fibre is then put down on top of that. I think I would look for a replacement part as it would be easier than trying to repair it.

Edited by cb750

Your challenge will be matching the gelcoat colour, to be honest. Assuming there's still some strength in what you have left there, I would just fill it conventionally (either a GRP-based one like P40, or else conventional P38 if there's not that much depth there) and then get the whole arch sprayed. I've never tried mixing gelcoat to match an existing color and I would be worried that the colour you get in the mixing pot prior to applying is a few shades different after the activator has gone off and the stuff has set, and once it's on there'll be no getting it off.

• Like 2

Follow Dan's advice, it still looks as if the wing has plenty of meat left, so just cosmetic fill & paint --- paint both fronts if there is a slight colour mis-match that shows 'cause there's a chance t'other one will fly if fixed the same.

Follow Dan's advice, it still looks as if the wing has plenty of meat left, so just cosmetic fill & paint --- paint both fronts if there is a slight colour mis-match that shows 'cause there's a chance t'other one will fly if fixed the same.

Yes, I will be re-doing the other wing as well so I could just paint both - good idea. However, if GBS will do me one wing for £40 (£80 for the pair), then that's probably not much more than I'll end up paying for filler, paint etc.

I also had a thought of doing a wrap in some weird pattern but that's more expense again and I'll probably end up with a dog's dinner of a colour scheme <_>

• Like 1

Not a bad plan, but I suspect they won't guarantee colour match between different batches of GRP. Now, to be honest, since it's not butting up against a panel of the same colour, I doubt anyone would casually notice, so I'm not poo-pooing it... but just stating, GRP can suffer from fade over time particularly when left in the sun... some pigments are worse than others though (red traditionally was the worst)...

Guest James24785

There's a guy on eBay who does the sport style wings for £60 a pair! I bought some for my Zero and I'm more than happy with them

Can provide pics if needed

or - and just thinking out loud,

Make a feature of it - i.e. fill to be structural and then pick out the driving wound in a different colour - again black potentially?

And add "Ouch " near-by in red/yellow/whatever.

OK, what do you think of these wraps? To be honest, I'm not sure I like any of them but there is very limited choice in this country - numerous US websites but only decent one in the UK is wrapdirect.com - anyone know any others? (I don't want a company to do the wrap for me, i want to buy the wrap to do it myself).

graffiti.png

galaxy.png

checkeredflag.png