Is This A Scam?

agent_zed

Hi,

So i put my old bmw 316 on gumtree this morning for spares/repairs and within a few hours i'd had a text asking me to email them as they were interested.

Just got an email back from the person saying they can't come to pick it up as they are in a wheel chair and hearing loss but will pay the full asking price (without even seeing the car) and have someone pick it up and will pay me via paypal today.

Something just doesn't seem right to me or am i just being paranoid?

Is there a scam somewhere in here?

I'd ask for cash on collection,

if it's spares/repair it wont be too much?

Have there been instances where the buyer claims he didnt receive the goods?

Or claim back from paypal saying goods are no good?

If youre not sure, just stand your ground for cash

Edited by Bob Tucker

yeah that's probably safer. I don't want to be finding the payment is somehow revoked or a criminal account or something. Or the car ends up being used for a smash and grab or something.

Only asking £400 assuming i'll get knocked down a bit, hoping for at least £300 as i've got reasonable good all season tyres on there (which sadly don't fit my new car :( ). So not exactly having to bring thousands.

Annoyingly if i had the space and time i'd prob strip it as the back subframe looks interesting and i wondered how well it would mate up with a 2b.

Unfortunately selling something through a system of 'having it collected' leads to all sorts of complications - and yes is most likely a scam.

You could end up losing both your vehicle and PayPal reclaiming the money. Don't do it.

There were cases of this in America where people were collecting motorcycles and paying by PayPal then telling PayPal they never had the goods. PayPal was then refunding the money. I would ask for cash if you go through with it!

After i asked for cash on collection and got a load more rubbish about how difficult it would be for them to get cash and something random about the courier service. But it's ok it is easy to setup paypal and sent me a link which was nice of them,

hahaha

haven't bothered to reply.

Just to add insult in the past few days after posting the ad on gumtree i've had 4 cold calls as apparently i've had an accident at some point that i might want to claim for. Which is news to me having owned the car for 5 years and i think i would have noticed. Odd that i only get called after i post an ad on gumtree!

the one of them said it was the bmw so that information must have been linked to me .... via gumtree :diablo:

The one of them was quite insistant that i had had an accident i literally had to keep saying i am the owner of the car and i know i have not had an accident at least 3 times.

I asked all of them where they got my information from and they said MIB database?? but i looked on that site and it says that they don't pass anything on even if it was in there.

• 4 months later...

Still trying to sell my old beemer. been asking £200 but no one wants to even pay that so think i will have to accept it's only worth the £150 i've been offered a couple of times (all without actually seeing the car).

But this did amuse me

'would it be possible for you to send me some pictures of any documentation, regarding ownership of the car,'

Why exactly would someone need pictures of my ownership documentation? perhaps i should just post the keys and the v5 for them to check at the same :crazy: