First Proper Trip - Ride Height Problems / Remote Oil K Series Engine

Looking at the pic in post #9 it looks like you have the shorter sump (some superspecs came with an engine for a 420) like all things RH different things were fitted to the same model cars it all depended what they had at the time.

The 93mm filter is just shorter than the shorter sump, the filter that came with the kit was 25mm ish longer.

In the picture it looks like the front of the sump is lower than the back or is it just the angle of the photo?

Is the front engine mount doing it's job.

The front of the sump is about 1cm lower than the back, no idea if the front mount is suitable - though looking at it, I think when I hit a bump, I have been very lucky, seems to have shifted the mount back a little (clean section from under the washer now visible)

photo%20(11).jpg

Keeping the bottom of the shockers close to the hub is the recommended way as you could (not will) bend a bottom wishbone, to gain ride height wind up the spring seats.

As mower man says a sump guard will take away some of the clearance but when you know you are going to hit something I would rather it be the Guard, and you will never get 3.5 - 4" under the sump on the superspec without the bottom wishbones sitting at a stupid angle.

The Zimmer shocks are just not up to the job and when I changed mine after only a few miles they were totally Knackered.

Was the sump guard made from tread plate in a photo that was taken with the car held up on fork lifts?

Steve

That makes sense, I would rather hit the guard too! Also think wishbones would be a cheaper replacement than losing oil out the sump - so think I will take that risk too!

Again, cheers for your patience and knowledge Steve & mower man! I know some of the theory, never had the hands on experience other than changing brakes, rads, bushes and fuel tanks!

Ed

[/background][/size][/font][/color]

Oh and yes it was - perchance was it yours?

:)

Got Basic drawings for the dimensions, they may need tweeking to fit as with all things RH. PM your email if you want a copy

Steve

Ed, I changed to the Zetec for personal preferences, the primary reason being the availability of future spares and space in the engine bay.

I didn't have ride height issues, I originally had no ride height!! Like you, with the steel sump on I could just about get a flat hand beneath the sump!

The ally 220 sump increased the ground clearance by about 2 inches.

I also put revised front spring brackets on the lower wishbone (got them from GBS) and changed the front spring rating to 425lb, this gave another inch or so.

Forgot to add to my post above, ypu will need longer sump mounting bolts as well. The ally sump flange is around 5-6mm thick, and there are 2 bolts that are longer than the rest which need changing with the rest, but I can't remember where these are positioned.

The good thing is the sump is easily changed, but a spare pair of hands is useful.