Led Bulbs

nelmo

I find that when I drive at night with the lights on, my voltage gauge (which normally shows 14v) drops down to 11 or 12 v.

I don't think there's anything wrong and it's not the end of the world, I just assume the alternator isn't the most powerful and can't keep up for the draw from the standard H4 headlights and rear bulbs.

I'm thinking of just changing the bulbs (not the indicators, I know they would need a special relay) for LEDs - is it that simple? I've read a few people having issues with direction of the light etc?

I have used LED's for the last 6 month and found them excellent, once you get the hight set. Because they are so bright and our cars don't have much give in the suspension if they are set even slightly too high then you can see the road signs lighting up on dipped as you go over bumps. I would recommend them to anyone driving a 7 as the volume of light they give compensates for sitting so low down, and your altenator can cope better.

I must admit, I was only looking at rear lights, hadn't looked at headlights yet - what's that black box for? Assuming that would have to fit inside the car body, was the cable long enough to get from bulb?

Also, that bulb seems to have a cooling fan built in - is that going to be of any use inside our virtually airtight headlight bodies? Do they get very hot?

Anyone changed the rear bulbs? They seem to be much simpler...

Volt meter might not be reading the battery volts if it shares any wires with other loads.

My volt meter reading drops when I switch on my headlights.

I have fitted LED bulbs and now it drops less.

However using a calibrated meter directly accross the battery the volts only drop 0.04V so I dont worry.