Chris Evans Poll

Guest The Modfather

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest The Modfather

Chris Evans had allegedly placed an entry on Twitter which said something to the effect of, "Give an African £2 and he buys a trumpet" If this is true (that he said it, not that an African would spend our £2 on a trumpet) what would be your reaction please?

Personally, as an officer of da lor, he should be arrested as it is a racist remark.

Guest Stuartl

Chris Evans had allegedly placed an entry on Twitter which said something to the effect of, "Give an African £2 and he buys a trumpet" If this is true (that he said it, not that an African would spend our £2 on a trumpet) what would be your reaction please?

Personally, as an officer of da lor, he should be arrested as it is a racist remark.

I think the world would be a sad place if we couldn't laugh anymore.

RIP Bernard Manning :D :D :D

Guest Stuartl

Daz, Its a bit like when one of your former senior's, Sir Paul Condon, said that most robberies were carried out by young black males.

He was hounded for being racist but he wasn't. He was merely stating fact.

Its also true that most known sex offenders are white. Again, not racist but fact.

Whether the £2 a month does go towards trumpets or not is as yet unknown!! :D

Whats racist about that ?? in any case a "black" friend of mine sent me a text saying he was going to stop his £2 a week to christian aid because the they were spending it on trumpets instead of food ! he found it funny not racist.

As for chris evans he is a bl**dy rich "idiot" all be it i find him amusing..

Worse still my company has banned all company cars from displaying George crosses why ? cause some tw*t somewhere complained that it was offensive ???? do i live in England ? should i be able to celebrate my national identity / support my football team if i so wish ?

Guest The Modfather

Why is that a racist remark, please refer to the dictionary definition of racist!

I'm not sure what dictionary you have read your definition from, so I'll give you the following:

based on racial intolerance; "racist remarks"

a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others

discriminatory especially on the basis of race or religion

Racism is the belief that race is a primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race. ...

Playing the race card is an idiomatic phrase that refers to the act of bringing the issue of race or racism into a debate, perhaps to obfuscate the matter. ...

An advocate of racism; Of, relating to, or advocating racism

racism - the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races

racism - discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of another race

racism - The belief that each race has distinct and intrinsic attributes; The belief that one race is superior to all others; Prejudice or discrimination based upon race

racism - An ideology based on the idea that humans can be separated into distinct racial groups and that these groups can be ranked on a hierarchy of intelligence, ability, morality etc.

racism - the use of race to establish and justify a social hierarchy and system of power that privileges, preferences or advances certain individuals or groups of people usually at the expense of others. Racism is perpetuated through both interpersonal and institutional practices.

racism - A set of incorrect assumptions, opinions and acts resulting from the belief that one race is inherently/genetically superior to another. It occurs when people are not treated fairly because of their cultural or ethnic differences. ...

racism - is power plus racial prejudice, a system that leads to the oppression of or discrimination against, specific racial or ethnic groups.

racism - Prejudice or discrimination based on an individual's race; can be expressed individually or through institutional power and authority.

Or, the defination of a racial incident as defined by the Race Relations (Amendment) Act 2000, after the MacPherson inquiry, and that is used by the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO)and which is used in English Law:

A racist incident is any incident which is perceived to be racist by the victim or any other person.

There is also the offence of Sending by public communication network an offensive/indecent/obscene/menacing message/matter, contrary to Sec 127 (1)(a) and (3) of the Communications Act 2003.

This states that "A" had on a sepcific date in a specific township, sent by means of a public electronic communications network

A)[a message] (in this case would be the comment that was sent) ] or

B )[matter], namely (specify).....

that was grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character.

Now, this could be racially aggravated if the main offence (as above) is proved and is deemed thereafter to be a racial incident (as previously defined).

So, he had sent a message, on a public electronic communications network (Twitter) which was grossly offensive to everyone who had complained(otherwise they wouldn't have complained). It can therefore, now be defined as a racist incident by anyone, and as such can now be classified as racially aggravated.

You may not deem it racist, but others might, or indeed have done so. Some may find the comment funny, and not see the other, less funny side.

You may not know the definition as used in English Law, and base your opinions on a dictionary definition, which sadly, is not the law.

My reason for starting this post was simply to highlight that the comments used by Evans, should not have been broadcast over a public network, and that he should be dealt with for making such comments public.

Guest The Modfather

Whats racist about that ?? in any case a "black" friend of mine sent me a text saying he was going to stop his £2 a week to christian aid because the they were spending it on trumpets instead of food ! he found it funny not racist.

As for chris evans he is a bl**dy rich "idiot" all be it i find him amusing..

Worse still my company has banned all company cars from displaying George crosses why ? cause some tw*t somewhere complained that it was offensive ???? do i live in England ? should i be able to celebrate my national identity / support my football team if i so wish ?

If your friend doesn't find it racist, that is his take on it. However, if ANYONE perceives it to be so, then under English law, it is racial. Please understand that this is not MY law. I'm sure that there are thousands of people from different races that also found the funny side of his comment. But, if someone was to report this matter to their local police, it would instigate an investigation. Whether or not the CPS would run with it is another matter. I'm sure you are aware that the police no longer hold the rights to decide who gets charged for offences and that this decision is now firmly with the CPS.

As for celebrating you identity/heritage etc, there is NO offence for displaying a St George flag. I have one flying at 15 feet in my rear garden for the football. Flying a national flag is not a crime, otherwise the Queen would be guilty as she has one flying from her abode! Your company may insist on not displaying a flag, and may even include it in your contract of work, but they have no law backing them.

I am ex armed services, now a police officer of near 15 years, and I am very patriotic. I support our troops fully and regularly donate to them. I support Poppy Day, St George's day and the Queen's birthday. In fact everything that makes me feel British. Am I racist for doing so, of course not. Racism, race, racial, racist, all words that cause worry, and yet so hard to define, which is why ACPO have decided on the above definition. It is a very ambiguous definition, and each offence HAS to dealt with on it's merits.

You hadn't read my reply above prior to writing your's, so hopefully, after reading the ACPO definition, you may also understand how and why it may be perceived as a racial comment. I am not here to start an arguement, but merely pointing out that his comment was unnecessary and that he should be dealt with, if not by law, but by the BBC.

By the way, I am an avid Radio 2 listener, and also find him quite funny, but sadly not on this particular occasion!

Guest MarkB

i don't think it is Racist... the joke contains a Country... countaining every race just like most countries.. our country is knackered when it comes to being politicly correct and using the race card. I found a place mat with the basic description of the English race act.. it read "if you think it is racist, it is" this was in the front window of a car that was knackered beyond repair driven by one of our popular race card users.... oh by the way.... i nearly forgot to say what else it had printed round the cup mat........ " Sponsored By South Yorkshire Police" ... go figure <_< .

Chris Evans is a Genius..... a very funny man ..

that is his take on it. However, if ANYONE perceives it to be so, then under English law, it is racial

There will always be someone upset.

This will be seen as very racist by some, but (and look at the crowd content) very funny by others.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1865570/russell_peters_outsourced_part_2/

I find it very refreshing.

.......Personally, as an officer of da lor, he should be arrested as it is a racist remark.

Don't hit me with too big a reply Daz, i know what your saying mate, BUT........

Why aren't our Beard wearing, bandaged head minority (poss majority) extremists ARRESTED when banging on about

murder and violence against all us English infidels. All done in the public domain and often televised??

Surely thats a racist remark??

Be gentle! lol

Nick.

Why aren't our Beard wearing, bandaged head minority

That`ll be the Sikhs then?

abu%20hamza.jpg

No idea Andi, religous attire isn't my thing!

All i know is he's not even facing the right way, thick t##t! pmsl.

Guest The Modfather

Don't hit me with too big a reply Daz, i know what your saying mate, BUT........

Why aren't our Beard wearing, bandaged head minority (poss majority) extremists ARRESTED when banging on about

murder and violence against all us English infidels. All done in the public domain and often televised??

Surely thats a racist remark??

Be gentle! lol

Nick.

I'll keep it short Nick, don't worry. :rolleyes:

These people are indeed arrested for inciting racial hatred, a very serious offence. Anyone spouting anything about death to the west and it's supporters are arrested. It may not necessarily happen at the time of the offence being committed, and I really cannot say anymore on why, please respect that, but they are not forgotten.

These "protests" are done in the street for political, religious and ideological gain, and will be televised unless a court order bans them from televising it. These "protests" are not registered demonstrations, as they would not be granted the right to demonstrate due to it's very nature. Media coverage sells, enough said.

Even white people can be victims of a racial incident, but it is seldom heard of or reported, make your own mind up as to the possible reasons why.

Many many people don't agree with the lawful definition, as it can be used in an infinite way, for absolutely everything, and anything. Believe me, it annoys us when we are constantly called racist just for doing our job. They say it because thay can, because the law allows them to, rightly or wrongly, and my belief is that the law has created a rod for it's own back. Don't get me wrong, if it's obviously based on race then throw the book at them, but some of the things we have to deal with is unbelieveable. It is actually refreshing to hear a supervisor saying "Nope, not a racial incident", and to have the common sense to weed out the blatant misuse of the law.

Andi,

You have reiterated my point to all this fully. The audience is clearly very mixed and they are all enjoying it by what I saw. People have paid to go see this chap, and most if not all, will know what his show contains. They have a choice to be there. If they were offended they wouldn't go. Twitter is a PUBLIC domain that although you have a choice of logging on, people will not expect his comment, therefore those that see it may be offended. This was my whole point. There is nothing stopping anyone from having freedom of speech providing it is carefully audienced, but you must expect negative feedback when done so publicly. As you say, someone will always be upset.

My own personal opinion, I think the law on what is defined as a racial incident needs to be changed, and more to the point, clarified in far greater detail than what it currently is. PC has gone mad, because no one wants to upset anyone, or has the danglies to say, "wait a minute, no it isn't racial". Will it ever change, I don't think so.

I found his remark insensitive and totally unnecssary, based solely upon the hardship of African people and their need for public donation.