Mot

Guest DAVE1954

Guest DAVE1954

Hi if my car passes IVA when ready, will I also need MOT after. Also read post on dash lower edge,I've put the thick door edge rubber on afterwards which is a very tight fit, is this not acceptable. Cheers. Dave

You won't need an MOT immediately after IVA if that is what you mean?

I re-taxed my Zero in May, built on an age related plate (H-Reg using mx5 donor), but the Zero was shown as first registered March 2014. From everything I read, the law is from first registration so if the V5 says under 3 years, you'll be fine :) I've not had any issues and there are people who are in 2nd or 3rd years of it with no issues. After 3rd year its back to yearly as per usual

If you get an MOT though (some people do for peace of mind) then it will then mean you have to get it yearly even if you could have got away with 3 years without. As soon as you are on the system.

In theory

New builds with new parts and latest plate = 3 years

Age related = 1 year

But as said depends which way the wind is blowing when the dvla decides. There have been people on here who have been given brand new registrations when they should have been age related so who knows what you'll get :)

Edited by agent_zed

An MOT every year gives peace of mind on a toy you built -- had Florin tested to MOT standard each year since IVA -- didn't get official paper-work requiring MOT until 3rd anniversary.

Had an "advisory" at 2nd "test" for slight movement in steering column u/j -- hadn't noticed myself -- replaced & steering so much better.

Edited by florin metal works
  • Like 1

Guest peter2b2002

I had. a mot before I took it to sva after it passed didn't need one for 3 years that was 12 years ago since then the only fail was a split boot on the bottom joint and a loose bolt on the n\s wishbone

peter2b

I had. a mot before I took it to sva after it passed didn't need one for 3 years that was 12 years ago since then the only fail was a split boot on the bottom joint and a loose bolt on the n\s wishbone

peter2b

i may have to stand corrected :) although 12 years ago would be before the computerised system wouldn't it? That seems to be more strict. Maybe because you did it before the SVA it wasn't on the system. No reason you couldnt get a 'pre-mot' at a garage to be on the safe side and just have them put it through as though it was a normal mot but just not on the system.

As florin said it's prob worth a yearly mot (or at least an inspection) even if you have 3 year grace post IVA to be on the safe side. My 2b had a few bits fail this year... handbrake on one side wasn't working?! I didn't notice as the other side was working pretty well. These cars don't get a lot of use so parts can seize up a bit from under-use. Copper greased all the moving parts (not the linings before someone asks :crazy: ) and brakes are sorted now, for another year at least.

my local MOT tester picked up a loose clamp bolt on the dummy strut that I had no idea about.

Luckily it has the tag that the bolt goes through, otherwise it could have been disastrous.

Turned out the powder coating had been rubbed off.

£25 well spent I reckon.

I went through IVA last July (with a G Plate) and got a years tax, which came up for renewal this month stating that it needed a valid MOT.

So as expected on age related IVA you get a year and as suggested above you should get 3 years grace with a new registration.

It thankfully went straight through the MOT but cost £45 round here, you got a good deal at £25 there in Kent Bob!

Paul, we had 3 years between IVA & MOT -- just had annual test at 1 & 2 years for peace of mind -- this wasn't "on the books" but was a full MOT inspection, done mainly as Florin covers approx. 10K per annum.

Guest peter2b2002

i may have to stand corrected :) although 12 years ago would be before the computerised system wouldn't it? That seems to be more strict. Maybe because you did it before the SVA it wasn't on the system. No reason you couldnt get a 'pre-mot' at a garage to be on the safe side and just have them put it through as though it was a normal mot but just not on the system.

As florin said it's prob worth a yearly mot (or at least an inspection) even if you have 3 year grace post IVA to be on the safe side. My 2b had a few bits fail this year... handbrake on one side wasn't working?! I didn't notice as the other side was working pretty well. These cars don't get a lot of use so parts can seize up a bit from under-use. Copper greased all the moving parts (not the linings before someone asks :crazy: ) and brakes are sorted now, for another year at least.

I only had a mot just to check everything before the sva test as my local garage new what the sva test looked for and to check things like head lights and brakes

peter2b