Davis Craig Electric Water Pump Install

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

So the pump install has raised its own problems, and to be honest I am about done with the marlin.

Basically the Davies craig instructions tell you to remove the thermostat, which I done, on half filling the expansion tank and running the pump to bleed the system the expansion tank level then rose and overflowed, the tank feeds into the back of the water pump housing which is still in place, It would have fed into the input of the old impeller which is now removed. So it is now becoming a flow path in the opposite direction When the EWP is running.

Also I had an issue when running without the thermostat in that my dash temp gauge which monitors head temp was reading 110 but the pump temp sensor was reading 85. The pump sensor is in line with the top radiator hose. After some serious thought I realised that the BMW thermostat is critical for forcing flow through the block, what I was doing was simply circulating water through the radiator and not getting much flow through the block. So today I refitted the thermostat with it locked open, this worked well with both temps reading the same.... which now leads back to the same issue,

The pump still backfills the header tank meaning I can't fully fill up the system without brimming the expansion tank due to height of the tank vs the height of the top of the rad.

I am now thinking of simply using the expansion tank as a remote filling point, and removing the small 8mm rad vent and capping it off on either end. This way I could brim the expansion tank and use it as a suck and blow set up? And then use the capped off vent to bleed when required?

Any thoughts before I torch the thing.

Guest mcramsay

So panick over, sat and thought about how to sort this,

1 - I need to put a T piece on the EWP inlet and feed the header tabk directly into this.

2 - I need to get the expansion tank higher than the radiator top hose. I need a better shaped expansion tank.

Guest mcramsay

It's only when you try to get around bmw's design you realise the guys designing the engines are on another level. The thermostat housing serves as both the inlet for the pump and outlet to the radiator, so removing the thermostat gave s big open hole for water to just bypass the block.

I think relocating the expansion tank so it feeds the inlet of the pump should cure my issues, as water will be drawn into the system and the rad should start self bleeding back to the top of the expansion tank.

Guest mcramsay

So the Tee is now fitted and pump / expansion tank are working as expected. Need to re jig the pump mounting so it's not sat as low, if I can get it level with the sump that will be good enough for me!

Fingers crossed this will sort things out.