Idle Control Valve Can It Stop The Engine Starting

Guest Jonnyround2003

Guest Jonnyround2003

I think my cars jinxed not sure what I've done the fuel ran low as my gauges not reading correctly the new alternator has gone faulty and all stated from me cleaning the idel control valve ! Everything was fine before just ran low on revs .

Is this the PCV fitted to the side of the block?

If so, it is normally closed when the engine is at tickover.

If its open, (say after being disturbed) it lets in far too much air for the engine to start.

Disconnect the pipe & block the attachment pipe going in to the manifold,

& try again.

From my understanding of ICVs is that they are typically only in use when the throttle is fully closed. They then regulate the air into the manifold to keep the engine idling. As soon as the TPS (throttle position sensor) sees action then the ICV will close. So, if you try and start the car on part throttle then the ICV will play no part in the operation.

So to recap, if it will start on part throttle but not on a closed throttle then maybe the ICV is faulty/blocked/dirty, if it wont start at all go back to basics, have you got fuel (check the plugs), have you got a spark?