Engine Specs For My 1600 Pinto

Guest danliv2309

Guest danliv2309

Hi Guys,

I've purchased a Robin Hood S7 (partially complete), the engine has been landed on the mounts, and gearbox is in.

The engine itself is a 1600 Pinto that has been re-bored to 89.9mm with new pistons etc.

The head has had hardened valve seats done etc. but is still running on the standard cam.

I have a set of twin webber 40's to add to the engine if it's needed but i'm just wandering whether it would be worth it?

If i had the cam changed would it be worth the extra hassle and would it make a noticeable enough difference to warrant the cost and time?

If you were going to change the cam what would you go for and where would you get it from?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

Hi, from what you say you have the best version of the 1600,the short stroke, I ran one for the last 5 years and had lots of fun with it.The best mods for this engine are to use a 32/36 weber, fit a standard 2ltr Pinto camshaft, a half decent exhaust manifold, and match the inlet ports to the manifold. There is no point in fitting 40's to this engine as it will never produce enough power to need them. If it is going to cost you much to do any of the above forget it and put it toward fitting a 2ltr, it is a straight swap and you have an instant gain in power and torque you will never get out of the 1600.

Having said that i really enjoyed driving the 1600, but you really have to drive them hard to keep up with 2ltr cars.

Guest lotusPaul

Plus 1 for agreement with Alantoon's post. Id add a good electronic ignition.

Get it set up correctly and bobs your uncle.

Also if you picked up a 2.0 block at a later date, then head complete with induction and exhaust is a bolt on exercise, and ignition is compatible too.

If you do want to change the cam you will need a clear path to the rear of the engine. The cam slides out to the rear and if there is a scuttle in the way you won't be able to. Not sure on the s7 if the scuttle is all part of the tub or at what stage your car is but thought it might be worth a mention.

I fitted the 2ltr cam to my 1.6 although mine is the e-max which is a longer stroke under-square engine so not as revvy. Seemed to make a difference to me but we aren't talking major power. Only cost £10 for an old cam so was worth it for a bit of tinkering fun. From what i understand the 2ltr cam is slightly higher lift and longer duration. I think the longer duration is the more important bit on pintos, the inlet is already pretty huge so i don't think lift is the problem. But i could well be wrong.

I bounce back and forth thinking about changing my engine for something with more power or more modern but most of the time i think it is actually pretty good fun being able to thrash the hell out of it and not be worried about instant licence removal. I've tried to concentrate on the other parts of driving and I've got pretty good at gear changing and carrying speed through a corner. Cars tend to catch me on the straights and i leave them on the bends. I enjoy the sound of the pinto makes. Power to weight is also in your favour. I worked out that my 1.6 (75bhp) 2b was the same if not slightly better power/weight than my bmw 316ti (114bhp).

Just want to add a note of caution if fitting a 2.0l block with 1.6 Head.

The 1.6 Head has combustion chambers of 38cc and the 2.0l 48 to 50 cc which means you compression ratio with the 1.6 Head will be far to high and you would remove a lot of metal or a very thick head gasket to get it down to 10.5 to 1

• Like 1