Bike Engine Prop Shaft

Guest Turboz

Guest Turboz

Hi guys after just finishing my first zero my brother wants me to build him one and insists on going bike engine as I have lots of spare engine's for my busa drag bike, however how do people connect the bike engine output shaft to the prop shaft. I've looked at lots of engine bay pics but just can't tell ?

Guest 2b cruising

I've only ever seen one and that was through a chain driven transfer box incorporating revers gear.

He told me it was expensive but not as expensive as the diff he used.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest 2b cruising

Do that to a zero and you would without doubt need sissy bars to keep the nose down.

Can't really steer a car with the front two wheels of the ground.

Guest Turboz

I've just read that you can weld a front chain ring / sprocket to the front end of the prop shaft but that sounds a bit of a bodge job ?

I used one of these on mine http://www.hoverd.org/Tim/Fury/images/sprocket_adapter_01.jpg. Can't remember who I got it from but it was less than £60 8 years ago. Once you've got the engine in and hard mounted, get baileymorris to make you a new prop. You'll need to make sure you have a shock joint in the tube somewhere else you'll strip teeth off the gears as you going down through the box. You'll also need a baffle plate in the sump to stop oil surge. A bike radiator is not big enough, so you'll need some serious cooling on the front as you won't have the same airflow over the engine.

Hth

ANdy

Guest Turboz

That looks more like it, thanks mate.

Cooling shouldn't be a problem I'm using the same radiator as in my car a custom 5 row aluminum jobbie it keeps my s2000 turbo engine cool.

Edited by Turboz