7" Flanged Diff Or Diff Adjustment Tool

Grim

I really need to do something about my diff, it's making increasingly noisy clattery sounds on neutral throttle inputs.

I'm after a 7" flanged differential to suit bolt on driveshafts.

I do have another diff which has been rebuilt, but i suspect the backlash is too tight as it runs very hot and is quite whiny. Does anyone have a diff bearing tool i could borrow / buy to have a play at adjusting it? I know they're available on ebay for about £30, but thought i'd check here first.

Andy

Guest Tim Norman

So thats what causing the noise on mine!

Always wondered why there was noise except when there was no load on it.

How do you fix that then?

with my spare whiny diff i want to move the crownwheel away from the pinion by using the castellated adjusters on the side of the casing to edge it over slightly. I've paid a decent amount of cash to get an unusuable diff, so haven't got much to lose if i fail.

With my current clattery diff, if the bearings are ok, i thought i'd try bringing the crownwheel closer to the pinion. Again, not much to lose as i don't fancy paying someone to give me another duff diff. It may be that the bearings are dead, causing the crownwheel to have sideways play, causing the noise, in which case i'll either bin or attempt replacement. However, i have not heard any bearing noise.

Finally i'd like another spare diff if my attempts fail!

Edited by Grim

When I rebuilt my diff I replaced bearings and seal. I tried thick oil which did help but after rebuild back to standard oil and the noise is back. If anyone managed to find the cure please pass it on.