Zeemeride Bush Replacement Or New Coilovers

Guest A.B

Can anyone confirm these are zimmers

256cl89.jpg

I have bilstein on the back of the car but these have no way to ID them, no markings ect.

Edited by A.B

My car had zimmers on and they don't look like yours. I have just ordered gaz replacements but the bushes in mine we're picked up as an advisory on last mot.

When I bought the car it was advertised as bilstein all round but I can't ID them at all. I bought the car without mot ect hoping to get it sorted to drive this summer. This and sorting the twin carb throttle linkage are my last jobs but these bushes have taken me three weeks to ID and I've purchased 5 different sets of bushes hoping they'd fit but nothing seems to! So it's looking less likely I'll get chance this summer unless I buy new coilovers.

They look like the Zimmers, I have a pair that still seem to ok and are free if you want them, for new bushes you may need to find motor bike ones or possibly original mini?

ps the original inboard springs were about 170 lbs/in which are a bit too stiff 120s are much better.

Edited by Peter Bell

I really just want to get out in it this summer as I've thrown quite a lot of money at it and I've only actually driven the car half a mile or so. If I buy new gaz coilovers could I use the same springs or best to change them too

I have the same on the front of my Series 3.

post-347-0-40427300-1406744849_thumb.jpg

I have replaced the bushes several times over the last 17 years as they never last long, the shocks still work OK though. I have just bought some of these on ebay to try:

post-347-0-96059200-1406744842_thumb.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

The listing states location as Hong Kong but they were actually posted in the UK.

Yes they will fit, I have had to trim 2mm off each bush so that they are a tight fit which will mean fitting a washer on each side to keep the bushes in place. At that price I bought 20 to keep me going for a few more years.

post-347-0-49065300-1406748757_thumb.jpg

post-347-0-11484500-1406748758_thumb.jpg

post-347-0-68479400-1406748758_thumb.jpg

post-347-0-42225100-1406748759_thumb.jpg

How did you go about trimming the 2mm? Was it 2mm off the 22mm OD with a lathe? or the 13mm width just a straight cut?

I don't know the requirements of a bush other than it can't be split? Can it not overhang the strut inserts?

On my S3 I replaced the Zimmers with Gaz

Zimmers have imperial bolt Gas metric so needed to drill out the bottom mount and top wishbone to take thicker bolt

Rear only needed bottom arm drilling out as top is pin mount

045a3610.jpg

1712de6b.jpg

018fa635.jpg