Trackday Noise Limits

richardm6994

does anyone know what frequency tracks take the noise measurement at?

The company I work for has many £££'s worth of acoustic labs and measuring equipment. Today they took a measurement off my car (0.5m from exhausts @ 45degrees angle)......it's 106.2db @ 500hz or 99.5db @ 1000hz

Obviously this is critical to me because if they measure at 500hz...then I'm too loud for track days, but if they measure at 1000hz (which our technical director seems to think would make sense) then I'm ok for trackdays.

Guest Tim Norman

Most operate at no more than 100db but every now and then they let it go up to 105db both at 3/4 max rpm. Don't know about the frequency!

Edited by Tim Norman

A quick look down Javelin's trackday calender....most of them betwene 100db & 105db.

But measuring sound isn't as simple as measuring other things etc.........you can get different readings depending on how the db meter is set up.

firstly there is what 'sound-weighting' the DB meter is set to.....my measurements were taken at z-weight but if they were taken at a-weight then my 500hz would be different. I'm assuming that the tracks measure at either A-weight of Z-weight

Then there is what sound frequency they measure at....as can be seen from my results there is nearly 7db difference between 500hz and 1000hz......which makes all the difference when close to the trackday limits.....

surely there must be a standard frequency they measure at.....common sense would be 1000hz because then the sound weighting doesn't matter (all db reading are the same at 1000db no matter what sound-weight the db meter is set at)

Its reported that they use this meter at Brandshatch. Might give you an answer to your question if you know what meters they use.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/mini-sound-level-meter-n33gj

And this one at MSA Scrutineering checks:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/digital-sound-level-meter-n05cc

thanks rob but knowing what meter they use doesn't help because both of those meters will measure sound at whatever frequency the user sets them at (between 31.5hz and 8000hz).

I bet if you asked the tracks they wouldn't know the answer....

I rang javelin and I think at first they though I was winding them up!! not a clue so no help there.....if there is no answer then I'm just going to turn up at the next blyton and ask them to measure it

Edited by steamer

Guest Dean Morledge

Gbs are doing a trackday at donnington tomorrow evening 4pm - 8pm. Dont they normally just tag alng on a javelin track day?

could always pop along in kit and see if someone can test noise level for you?

ECE exhaust noise tests for cars are taken with frequency weighting "A" and time weighting "F" (ECE Reg 51 - this is a hefty bit of reading because it also covers noise emissions from other sources like tyres and wind noise).

I would expect trackday tests to be take with the same weightings.

Guest zoomzoom

I've done 6 track days at blyton and never seen a noise meter used and some very loud cars going around so I guess they are very lenient on noise but as ever you could be the lucky one !!!!!!!

Immmmm track days.

Must do another soon.