Oil Leak

nelmo

I seem to have a slight oil leak from the oil filter (2L Zetec) since my first oil change. I assume that tightening by hand only is still right for the Zetec or does it need a bit more than that? Is it safe to try tighten it with a tool?

The filter was a shortened one from GBS, same as the first one and that had no problem. However, I may have overfilled the oil this time (not sure I trust my dipstick), so not sure if that may be a reason for the leak?

Edited by nelmo

Might just have a faulty filter casing or the sealing ring has got itself distorted. I would slap a new filter on and grease the sealing ring faces to make sure the ring seats nicely.

Have used Champion C 104 on zetecs for the last 10 years. Shorter than the standard zetec one but not the shortest available.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

Hi Neil,

If youre sure the leak is from the joint, its likely that the rubber sealing ring is damaged.

I'd just whip it off, & check the oil seal, if it's not, put a smear of oil on both mating surfaces & tighten by hand

using something to provide a better grip, (anti slip rubber mat?).

Does this help?

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=100900

I have a couple of short oil filters that may fit....I'll look them out & PM the filter numbers

Edited by Bob Tucker

Thanks all, I'll try taking it off and checking the seal, although I always do smear some oil on the ring before I put it on.

The filter itself is the right type - it came from GBS and is the same as the first one I used. But I did put that on before the engine was in and so had much better leverage.

I'm still not 100% sure it's the filter leaking but it doesn't leak when left overnight ie. when not moving, and the whole right side of the engine from the filter down has oil on it, hence my suspicions.

It will leak when the engine is running because it is pressurised.

When the engine is off it is just a reservoir.

Theres no reason you cant finally tighten it with a filter strap for purchase.....just dont lean on it too much.

What's the problem with the dipstick?

Edited by Bob Tucker

I bought a lowered sump from Tiger, which has the windage tray (is that the right name?) exactly under where the Zetec dispstick enters the engine. As you push the dipstick in, it feels like it is hitting that tray and then sliding along the top of it, rather than actually going down into the oil and, in fact, when you pull the dipstick out, you can see the curve in the end of it.

The result is that the oil always shows as at the top mark but I'm not sure if that's real or just the excess oil left on the tray from previously - make sense?

Pic of tray is in this blog post:

https://zerolifebuild.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/sumptuous.html

I had exactly the same issue with my SBD sump for the XE.

I had to drill a hole to allow the dipstick to pass through.

Be very careful.....there will always be a layer of oil on top of the windage plate,

and it may make the dipstick look like the level is at the top, regardless of where it really is.

This is exactly what made my last engine fail. When I went to put the sump on the new one the dipstick didn't line up with the hole on the top of the windage plate. You could see the marks on the top where the dipstick had slid along it, always registering full because of the oil left on top. I just drilled and filed a new hole where the scratch marks were and now it works as it is supposed to. My new engine is much better so it wasn't all bad news.