Break Down Insurance Cover.

colinmoore

I was out putting a few miles on my recently legal 2B, and on the way home from Chatsworth, a distance of less than twenty miles, when the dreaded clutch foot hit the floor with a bang. Yes the clutch cable had failed, I managed to limp a few miles doing clutch less gear changes, but decided to give up after reaching roadworks with traffic lights. If I had had a spare cable with me , it would have been possible to repair at the roadside ( with a log etc alongside the jack). However after insuring with Adrian Flux, I had luckily been talked into taking out breakdown cover, so decided to get a ride home via them. A wait of just over an hour saw a Knight in shinning Armour from Roadrunners recovery turn up for the relay home. Not only was this guy quite entertaining, he also helped me re-arrange my cars on the drive, and helped me push the Hood into the garage. On checking the broken cable (only done 700 miles), I found that it was one designed for the Cortina, and of dubious quality. I have now replaced with the longer 2WD cosworth one routed around the maniold, to avoid the heat. Just to say that the Break down cover was a good investment at £35, as the recovery would have cost around £100.

• Like 2

Guest mr D

Similar experience except mine was going round the roundabout at the Nurburgring , much to the amusement of a load of guys on motorbikes, tried to limp back to the hotel 30 clicks away but failed called Flux and about an hour later ADAC recovered me to their garage where with a little help cobbled a working clutch with the aid of a spare throttle cable and some 30 Amp connectors, went to a motor store at 5pm that night (Fri) and ordered a new clutch cable it had to come from Denmark and was there by 8 AM Sat morning ( German efficiency ), fitted and got me back home to Scotland I shudder to think what recovery / repatriation would have cost if I had not got good old Flux recovery .

I now have a fine collection 3 Different clutch cables behind the passenger seat.

Now preparing the 2B for our annual pilgrimage back to the ring for the Old Timers Grand Prix in August

So Guys think about lashing out £35 on Flux recovery it saved me a fortune!

Derek :acute:

Edited by mr D

Guest 2b cruising

Mechanic by profession. Breakdown call out fitter for a good few years on HGV.

I would never be without breakdown cover myself.

Just one call out is worth a good couple of years cover.

Especially when it covers any car I am driving in.

Last three years call outs.

Citroen van, wife left her keys in her van with the ignition off. On came the locks.

Volvo old banger, overheated, clutch went, turbo exploded. Still got it and use it every day.

Kit car. Stupidly filled with my favourite fuel that for some reason petrol engines don't like. It did cost me for the call out but I could not have done it myself roadside without being dangerouse and contaminating the surrounding area with diesel.

Well worth every penny and more if you run old bangers like swimbo and myself.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest Gargoil

You never know who is going to turn up, with Green Flag. Could be any local garage and any level of service.

However, we wouldn't be driving the sort of cars we do, if that worried us. Kit cars are not known for their reliability, so value for money is a big bonus where breakdown cover is concerned. Green Flag are value for money and at the end of the day will do as much as the Big two, plus it's easier to get a quote for a kit car from them.

:good:

Edited by Gargoil

Guest 2b cruising

Fan belt. Butyl tape to temp repair split hoses. If used correctly, it can be used for fuel line temporary repairs.. One spark plug, one might go wrong but unlikely more will go at the same time. If you have an old engine, a simple part that goes wrong but difficult to get one roadside would be rotor arm and dizzy cap. Points if used are usually temporary repairable.

It's not just the spares you have to consider. It's all the tools as well.

I will leave my bit at that as I am sure you are going to get inundated.

Whatever list you end up with just consider that when you are out as a group a get together can be had to find out who will carry what so that you don't double up with anything.

Just to put another slant on this, if you breakdown on a motorway and don't have any cover, you have a maximum of 2 hours to get your vehicle moved, after that it can be statutory recovered, and that is only either to the nearest place of safety, services, layby / car park etc. off the motorway, that's if you can pay the fee. The minimum cost is £150 + £20 / day storage. If you can't, and you don't get the car back until you have paid the bill.

If you want the recovery drivers garage to fix it, or recover you further, then you need to negotiate the ADDITIONAL cost with them.

This is why breakdown cover is a must! But when you get it, READ THE POLICY, especially the exclusions. Certain recovery clubs will charge you if they have to attend for....................running out of fuel. .......or.........punctures when the car was designed with a spare, and you don't have a legal serviceable one. (IE. the spare is flat or illegal, or there's no spare because spare wheel well has a gas tank now. )

Certain ones will not attend if it's due to an RTC (Their answer is, they're a BREAKDOWN recovery service, not accident recovery)

Some will attend, then will send you the bill a few days later, which you then forward to your insurance. So for recovery after an RTC, check your insurance policy, it gives you a number to call.

Edited by Big Jim

I had my Vauxhall Cavalier ECU burn out.

They are like hens teeth, so I hunted down 2, one is fitted, one is in the boot, carefully wrapped in bubblewrap.

I have a second coil fitted next to the working one, ready to swap over.

I have a second fuel pump fitted next to the working one.ready to swap over.

Guess which bits have never gone wrong?

always look for a single point of failure....ie what one thing will bring it all to a halt if it breaks down.

Guest 2b cruising

He is to used to building aircraft Chris.

The have a complete back up system just like his cars.

Yes two of them too. Don't know which one goes in the boot though.