Steering Rack Stops

Guest kevin booth

Guest 2b cruising

Ideal. As long as it does not wear through the rubber Bob.

I have seen that happen and I would prefer to fit two correct ones than have to strip again for new gators,

Easy enough to get from the fleabay.

My opinion though Bob.

Guest 2b cruising

True initiative Bob.

He wasn't a Royal Engineer was he.

Funniest trial with wood I've ever heard.

An old friend of mine worked for Fairey engineering not long after I had joined HM's greatest.

He was a draughtman and kept going on to me about the improvement he was involved with on the medium girder bridge. (Bailey bridge aluminium replacement) truly great kit.

Anyway, he came up with a great cost saving idea of making pins for trials on heat coating as they were spending far to much money waisting actual panel pins. Not the nail kind but about 2' long hardened steel.

Yep you guessed it, make some out of wood he says.

Dip them in the coating and they will be fine.

Everyone was sniggering behind his back and gave him an order for the chip pies shop.

He made a nice drawing suitable for a pattern maker and had 12 made.

Of the 12 he had made, two were dipped and hung in the oven.

On opening the oven doors he was miffed just to find some plating left on the oven bottom but no sign of his marvellous very expensively made timber pins.

The other 10 pins were left hanging in various different parts of the factory. Including the draughtmans office and in research and development.

I know he stayed working there until they actually closed that branch down but I don't know if he was presented with one of his pins on a plynth though.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest 2b cruising

And the mot man would fail it without question for weakening crucial steering parts.

Not for me bikes.

Propper kit cheep enough and easily fitted.

What might happen in the event of the bolt maybe snapping off through repetitive stress, the shaft riding over what's left but not allowing it to return.

Big right boot on the loud pedal and hope you can manage the donuts with throttle alone?

No offence meant Biksz but just my own personal view.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest mcramsay

I had some stops made by a bloke in eBay. As found on this link

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kit-car-Sierra-steering-rack-lock-stops-for-MK-Locost-Robin-Hood-Haynes-Roadster-/181157243041

Couldn't fault the bloke, he made mine to order as I wanted different dimensions, think he charged me 3 quid more as he had to use larger diameter stock bar.

What ever you do. Do not drill and tap the steering rack. That is a big no no

Nobody has suggested moving the mudguards or making them smaller -- increasing car's turning radius will be pain when on the switch-back roads in Switzerland ( other hair-pins are available.

• Like 1

I must agree with Bob on this, the steering lock on my 2B is fairly pathetic, with stops fitted to prevent headlamp cycle wing contact. I have the wider wings fitted (to please IVA man) now past this stage, it might be an idea to look into fitting the narrow wings and possibly moving them outwards to give more lock. I have had the embarrassment of doing three point turns on hairpin bends!