Vauxhall Conversion.

Guest Bazwaz

Well thats it , there's no going back now, my conversion to Vauxhall power started today with the removal of my pinto engine. I,ve spent most of the summer (and most of my spare cash) gathering all the bits i need to do it. As i don't intend putting it on the road again till next spring i'm going to take my time doing it. (i had enough long cold nights when i originally built the car). The engine removal is simple, iv'e done it quite a few times, drain the oil and coolant, remove carbs, starter,exhaust attatch engine hoist, remove engine to gearbox bolts, spend the next 20 mins wondering why it won't seperate from the gearbox, decide to put my glasses on, find that stupid little bolt covered in crud, kick myself, remove bolt , lift out engine. I also removed the old cast bellhousing, its a damn sight heavier than the new ally one. Roll on next weekend.

Barry.

good luck barry

i've thought long and hard about embarking on the same road..but always find something easier to do!! :p

i will follow your progress with intrest

would you by any chance be fitting the 2.0L 16V lump?

injection or carbs?

a vauxhall nut friend of mine told me that cosworth designed this engine

but GM didn't want them taking credit for it!! :huh:

will you be using a manta gearbox ?

IF you need to know anything about the 2.0 16v red top 20XE. just post here. If u use a manta box it need to be a 1.8 8v it comes off, U also need the oil pick up and sump off the 1.8 8v.

don't be sorry, good intentions. although the Manta sump will fit on the Vauxhall if fitted in a 2B, it could still be a bit low to the ground. Andy Cambell up here in the cold Northwest is on with just that mix at the moment, we'll let you know how it goes once it's done a few miles. the other problem is the SBD sump is £216, but it's a lovely piece of kit.

In this piccy, the engine is runable.

post-13-1064241722.jpg

It,s actually going in an Exmo, but like Jim says the manta sump won't fit so i bought the sbd one. As for the pedals i know VW polo ones seem popular but i'll concentrate on getting the engine installed first.

Barry.

Got home from work early today (4pm) so i thought i would have an hour in the garage, thought i would make a start removing the engine mount boxes. I emerged at 9pm having removed both of them. What a pig of a job, i used 5 discs in my grinder before i'd finished, still, at least thats the messy bit out of the way. I also fitted the new bellhousing.

Barry.

Jim, the reason i removed both of them is because thats what it said in Simon Coopers article ( i've read your website but it didn,t click that you'd only removed one) and i also had this idea of utilising the sierra arms but after showing them to my welder at work he said they weren't really suitable so i'll manufacture my own brackets and he'll weld them up for me. At least now i can put the boxes where i want.

Barry.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bazwaz

I've had a good week in the garage, i've got the engine installed in the correct position,i've made up some new mounting brackets, ( going to pop into work tomorrow to try and get them welded together) I've also fitted and wired up the fuel pump and connected up the ignition. I turned it over briefly to check my wiring and got a nice spark so that part seems okay. I had to be careful as its still supported by blocks of wood and the hoist. I also cut the exhaust so thats ready for welding up later. If i carry on at this rate i'll be finished at the end of this month.

Barry.