Zero Bonnet

Guest Spencer Griffiths

Guest Spencer Griffiths

Hi I started to fit the nose cone on last night, which didn't seem too bad once i had trimmed it to go around the wishbones etc. I then placed the bonnet on. The scuttle end seems to fit pretty good, but the nose cone end is so far off it's crazy. The shape is all wrong and it seems too big. We measured around the bonnet at nose cone end and then around the matching face on the nose cone and it is 3cm off with too much metal on the bonnet. When you pull it down the folded over section that sits on the chassis is all at the wrong angles as well. I have a very early bonnet about two years old, i can only assume it has been bent incorrectly and i may need to try and get it swapped at GBS. Any ideas, help, comments?

Thanks

Spencer

Guest dinger

Spencer,

Sounds like you need to raise the nose cone slightly, this will allow the bonnet to be pulled into shape around the nose when attached to the bonnet clamps,

Same as Ding and Graham say Spencer, raise the nose cone to meet the bonnet.

Where the sides of the nose cone pass over the front shock top mountings on mine there

is at least a 10mm gap either side. Not noticable once it's all built up mate.

Nick.

Guest scrabster

hi, my kit was one of the early ones as well and i think the gel that was used was jelly,took it out the mould to soon i think.there is more cutting and carving involved than the newer kits,to save on the expence gbs made them trimmed closer to the desired finish.so as said above raise nose up to seated bonnet and gradually carve a bit at a time.on mine the recess where the bonnet sits on the nose is about 35 mm behind the headlight bracket.and the bottom of nosecone is about 25mm lower than the box section front rail.hth.

regards,jess.

Guest scrabster

Any chance we can have a close up photo of mounting points, a picture speaks a thousand words please. No rush I am going to fit the rear arches next weekend.

Mark

rear arches,now theres a story.:spiteful:

Guest Spencer Griffiths

Thanks, i think i get what you are all talking about. The bonnet at the front seems too wide when compared to the nose cone. Will this pull down and in okay? Also the bottom of the nose cone is not yet touching the bottom of the chassis rail, should it overlap so you can put bolts through or is it better to have it just in front of the bottom rail and use hinges or angled ali to fix?

Thanks, i think i get what you are all talking about. The bonnet at the front seems too wide when compared to the nose cone. Will this pull down and in okay? Also the bottom of the nose cone is not yet touching the bottom of the chassis rail, should it overlap so you can put bolts through or is it better to have it just in front of the bottom rail and use hinges or angled ali to fix?

Spencer, fit the bonnet to chassis and scuttle (duct tape will help) and use this to position the

nose cone for both vertical and forward / rearward positioning.

As Jess said, the bottom of the nose cone won't touch the chassis, it will hang below it somewhat.

This is a good gap to place 2 hinges so it tilts forward for access to the rad cap etc.

HTH,

Nick.

Guest philipgame

I seem to have taken a different approach; I fixed the nose cone to the bottom of the chassis rail then pivoted it to the top side fixing points. The bonnet seems to fit ok, I still have to put the catches on but it looks like they will pull it down and in to shape! This seemed like an easy approach.

Phil