Valve Spring Compressor-Pinto

Guest alexpink

Guest alexpink

Does anyone have a valve spring compressor tool to change the valve stem oil seals on a pinto with the head still on, and if so, would they be able to lend me it? Or suggest where I may be able to purchase one from. Fairly urgent as I'd like to get the car on the road and get some use over autumn, and its the only problematic fail I got from the IVA.

Many thanks,

Alex

Guest mower man

All you need is a couple of feet of soft rope turn the eng to half stroke ,remove s/plug of cyl on comp stroke ,poke rope into plug hole probably 5 /6 " and turn eng by hand till strong resistance is found lock off in gear and hand brake ,remove cam followers on same cyl and then depress v/spring with suitable bar remove collets ,spring an oilseal fit new seal and rebuild ,repeat on other cyls on correct stroke[ follow firing order] job done !! THIS IS NOT A JOKE I HAVE DONE IT MANY TIMES !!!!! mick :crazy: :clapping:

Guest alexpink

Mick, I've put the rope into the cylinder etc but just need the tool to help get the collets back onto the valve stem as its a right pain in the arse otherwise, and I don't really have anything else suitable knocking around (I've already had one collet go flying off out the garage door...)- if Dave can send me his I might have to do a bit of reverse engineering!

Guest mower man

2 scewdrivers ,2 peices of 3/8 bar ,2 3/8 drive socket extentions ,remember this is what the Aussies call desert technology so necesity is the mother of invention and progress ! :rofl: :crazy: :clapping: mick