Superspec Stuttering

deano266

Update. New coil and King lead (had a nick in it) installed. Speedo doesn't bounce so plus 1 for an issue I didn't realise. However the stuttering is still happening when it is up to temperature. I have replaced fuel pump and screen, fuel filter and now the coil and king lead. The issue is still there and when I reverse the car just stalls even with a bit of throttle. It then refuse to start unless you put your foot to the floor.

Does anyone have any ideas on this after this update

Edited by deano266
  • Like 1

I used to have an MG Midget that would cough and stutter under load that turned out to be the dizzy but that wouldnt account for it only happening at temp.

If it only hapens at temp then what changes when up to full operation temp?

Fuel/air mix? My super failed MOT because it was too rich, faulty throttle position sensor so ecu thought throttle was wide open maybe yours is the opposite. If ecu doesn't know where throttle is then can't adjust fuel properly.

You may have to bite bullet and take to a garage!!

Trying to understand how selecting reverse could affect fuel supply! The only thing I can think of is the reverse light switch and lamps causing a change in the electrical state of the car. Fuel pumps need a hefty electric supply and earth. Does the pump electric supply share with the reverse light stuff. I would check the pump relay and wiring including the earth to make sure all connections are good. Presumably the ECU has an output to switch the pump relay. Check that too.

Put a multi-meter across the fuel pump terminals and take lots of readings (e.g. before starting, once started, when warm, when in reverse, when need to start with full throttle etc.). Might quickly point to an electrical supply problem to the pump.

well i have replaced dizzy, ht leads and coil. i halve also checked for any loose connections and replaced the inlet air temp sensor (it was reading faulty on diagnostics) went for a run to put petrol in and it was popping all the way with big backfires. Stopped at the fuel station and since then it has refused to start.

The new sensor is still throwing an error and wont clear itself from the error memory.

I am starting to lose patience with it and really want to swap the engine out now but want to keep the very strong rover engine.

I have put at least 3 bottles of redex through them and don't fancy taking the injectors out but if I have too I guess we will.

It's just annoying as all the warm weather for once and haven't had a single run.

I have also gone through the engine loom and everything is in one piece as a signal is going from one end to the other on every sensor

Edited by deano266

Have you tried fuel pressure,as i have had problem twice with faulty fuel pressure regulators.

Bit late to this party but - have you done this yet?

I mean properly, ie. a guage into the fuel rail somewhere, if there's a fitting to fit one, otherwise splice one into the line as close to the rail as you can?

I have a guage I can loan you if you need one.

Thanks brumster. My uncle has one we can borrow.

Some good news I can get to start when it's cold but when it is at operating temperature (fan kicks in) any application of throttle and it cuts out. It then won't start

It all seems to point to inadequate electrical power. Not just to the fuel pump. Go through battery connections and battery to engine, battery to body earths cleaning all contacts. Check alternator output. Check battery condition and charge.