Wireless Ip Camera Help

richyb66

Ive setup a wireless IP camera at my place in Wales and although I can access it remotely via the web, it falls over when my router IP address changes because the router doesnt have a static IP address.

I set up the port forwarding on my router and a NO IP account to use Dynamic DNS which lets me to access the camera remotely but I think the problem Ive got is Ive only got the IP Camera connected to the router so I dont have a device connected that can run the software to keep the NO IP account updated when the IP address changes.

Is there an easy for this or should I just give up now? My current camera is a Tenvis JPT3815W but it wasnt expensive so Im happy to bin it for something thats easier to setup (the initial setup was straightforward the remote access has been a right pain). Ideally I want something a bit more plug and play and I need to be able to also access with a Windows phone so it cant be anything that works solely on Android or iOS

Looks like you may need a specific router that supports NOIP if theres no other local hardware:

https://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/how-to-configure-ddns-in-router/

My router is BT Homehub 5 which does support DDNS so this will be a good start. I found a thread on the BT community forum which goes in to some detail so I can git it a try but not until Friday when I back up there.

A side-option is to get something like a Raspberry Pi (which can run a camera), which can then also do more "dynamic" stuff like updating, notifications (pretty much anything really). Mind you, nowhere near as user-friendly as a simple plug-and-play solution.

Easier to just get a decent 2nd hand router with dDNS support and be done with it. I've never known a DrayTek router that doesn't (I've used them for years and never had a model that didn't)....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draytek-Vigor-2820Vn-ADSL-Modem-Router/273093863307?epid=97202663&hash=item3f95a9a78b:g:y3UAAOSwXN5amwgg

My 2860 supports all of the major dDNS providers.

Generally you can log in to the ip camera itself via its IP address and set up the ddns info up do it automatically updates no ip. Thats what I have done but from nvr.

Not sure my camera has that functionality, it's fairly basic. Ultimately it needs to communicate through the router and I can't do this I the ip address changes and I don't know the new one.

A major obstacle seems to be my 8 bit brain, these things are getting far too complicated for anyone not currently working at GCHQ so if I can avoid adding further devices to the system it would help. I'm not after fantastic picture quality and I don't need hours of streaming. I just want to be adle to have a quick look in every now and again to check everything is OK.

Take a look at Foscam cameras, they can be setup with a scan of a barcode and no router changes at all. Internal and external cameras and plenty of config for alerts and recording if you have a NAS or direct to Micro SD card if you wish. Fairly expensive though depending on what quality you go for

They don't look too expensive for the spec I need so this might well be an option is I can't sort out the router. The software seems to be available for Windows so I might try downloading it on my phone to check compatibility.

A major obstacle seems to be my 8 bit brain, these things are getting far too complicated for anyone not currently working at GCHQ so if I can avoid adding further devices to the system it would help. I'm not after fantastic picture quality and I don't need hours of streaming. I just want to be adle to have a quick look in every now and again to check everything is OK.

If you've got an old Android device that you no longer use (like a tablet or mobile phone - ie. with a camera) then this will do the job for you...!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tappytaps.android.dogmonitor&hl=en_GB

Quick update. A couple more hours faffing around at it seems to be working finally. I did have the DDNS settings updated in my router but for some reason it wasn't updating. Had a play with the settings and it seems to be updating now so I'll see how it goes over the next few days.