Failed Iva

Guest MrToad

Guest MrToad

Hi All,

Last month took car to Northam, Southampton for IVA test, nearly missed appointment due to crazy sat nav. wrong directions.

In general I had managed to cover most of the regulations apart from a misfiring engine which should have been OK due to new management system and rolling road mapping. However the items that really caught me out were:

1. The head rests were not high enough needing to be enlarged by 125mm minimum, the measurement being at least 700mm from the seat to the top of the head rest. I have raised the height of the rests with a frame and cover to exceed the requirements and fixed in place as the raising mechanism was not restricted or lockable. It does look strange though.

2. The upper seat belt clips (I have 4 point units fitted) needed to be protected by a soft or suitable radius cover, this has been rectified with foam and vinyl jackets.

3. The front indicators were not wide enough, I had wrongly measured in from the front and not from the widest point. This could only be rectified by sourcing Westfield units which are very long and were advised by IVA tester.

4. Headlamp mounting had to be covered at the back as edge visable. Rubber grommet was suggested and now fitted.

5. Rear reflectors although having what I thought was enough radius have had to be encircled with rubber.

6. Rear fog light activated on side lights, stupid oversight on my behalf but thought standard Ford Sierra wiring OK. Have now sorted but not without hassle as trying to make work with both dipped and full beam headlights on my wiring was not straight forward as control from stalk on negative side only. Thanks to RHOCAR forum managed to fit diodes in wires after relay's and now working fine. PLEASE NOTE IVA REQUIRE FOG LIGHT TO WORK OFF BOTH HEAD LIGHT SETTINGS NOT JUST DIPPED.

With all the list now attended to I have a booking for early July and hope all goes well. Will keep you updated.

P.S. Found out the misfire was caused by the return fuel pipe being flattened and making the pressure exceed 5 bar, this in turn over fueled the injectors. Nobody will own up but I suspect it was damaged when transported to the rolling road, however now fixed and routed away from such perils. Just one of the joys of trying to shoe horn in a YB Cosworth engine.

• 1 month later...
Guest MrToad

Hi, Good news I have now got my sweaty paws on the IAC.

Took 2 months to get the follow up appointment and then only spent about 15 minutes to finish the test.

Emissions behaved, speedo was extremely accurate as the tester commented(must be some iffy set ups around) other bits ticked off ok.

Got to wait 7 to 10 days for registration form as gov.com have to send it out, not available via internet.

Car had last gremlin in that after test completed and passed the b****y engine would not start, thought it was a heat sensor preventing and had to push it out of the test centre(slightly embarrased).

Got it back and found inertia switch for fuel pump had activated, old Sierra unit now ditched for new Jag unit.

Still, looking forward to finally getting it street legal and out on road for late summer.

Congratulations I did mine last month. The first drive out is just something else. Fortunately Id already realised about the forms so had requested them early. I used the v55/5 form.

I also sent it special delivery then you know they receive it to the k&r dept. I included a prepaid special delivery envelope / bag too for the return of all my receipts. From posting to receiving docs and logbook back was only 8 days but had to wait a further 3 days to the start of July for the tax to start. God that was hard.

Any questions just ask the hard bit is now done. Mike

Guest MrToad

Thanks Mike,

I am just filling out the V55/4 form, which the gov department said I had to fill in, is V55/5 the one I should have used?

V55/4 form seems to cover all the parameters for the car build as I will be getting a Q plate due to the donor car being scrapped by the insurance Company.

Biggest query now is what amount of VED is applicable, I see that a £55 admin charge for the registration is required but car tax is a minefield.

My engine was taken from a 1988 Sierra Cosworth and is pre-cat requirements. IVA never disclosed the emissions so I do not have the official recordings.

Can anybody assist?

Jim

• 1 month later...

Finally have got the magic registration :crazy: only taken 9 months to sort out, what with getting engine running properly, sorting the plumbing and wiring, correctly sorting cooling, etc. etc.

Registration even took 8+ weeks but have achieved an age related plate F no less, as had no previous log book have had to prove the lineage of the parts, thankfully Ford have specific records to identify.

First drive was magic and apart from a big puff of smoke to clear the system the acceleration and handling are immense and all going well, far better than any previous sports car I have driven (apart from a Nissan GTR even that was too smooth).

Unfortunate part is that I have lost the Summer and only have a few weeks of sunshine to look forward to.

Does anybody have details of good supplier to provide waterproofing, i.e. tonneau cover and doors, don't want a full cover as have idea to produce a targa type roof with hinged panels (both drivers are large and have question marks over getting through opening of soft top attachment)? Car is a Westfield but the principle is the same.

Tax was £255 and is running legally without cat, just need a few miles to settle everything in (50 odd miles on rolling roads not really counts).

Well done. By the sounds of it you did the right thing and listened to the IVA tester and did the things they wanted you to do. When i was getting mine done there was an american pickup being tested that had some gas tank or something inside the petrol tank so was hidden from view and the chap was just arguing with the tester as he didnt want to take it apart. Not the best plan to my mind, i would think it would just make the tester more likely to pick up every tiny fault.

'PLEASE NOTE IVA REQUIRE FOG LIGHT TO WORK OFF BOTH HEAD LIGHT SETTINGS NOT JUST DIPPED.'

If you think about it that's for good reason, if you are driving through patchy fog and flicking to main beam and back your fog light would be flashing on and off and be quite confusing for any cars following :)