Super Spec Exhaust

Guest toma94

Hello Everybody!

I'm italian and i currently own a Robin Hood Superspec! I bought it in the UK, imported it in italy and now i'm slowly going trough the process of giving it a new life!

The car was plated EU05CGE, do you know the original owner?

i changed all the grp parts, i made some small adjustments and i changed the stock silencer with a new one...
now i bought a Rover original exhaust manifold for the t-series engine and i wanted to craft a brand new downpipe and silencer from scratch, because i don't like the fact that the original exhaust is not straight like the side of the car, but it goes down a little bit...

Before doing all this, i just wanted to know if there is someone who makes custom exhaust for the robin hood SS without making me bring the car all the way back to uk :rofl:

Thanks guys!

Pic of the car attached!

IMG_20170108_154044.jpg

2rmb3h1.jpg

Edited by toma94

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Glyn Rust's old car

It was one of the best built best looking cars I have seen.

When I received the car I also got some printed pages of this forum with the nickname "rusty" on it so I thing you could be right indeed!!

I'm very glad to read what you are writing!

Unfortunately, it seems like that the car was owned by 2 other people after Mr rusty, and the car arrived with a weird problem at the gearbox... The 4th gear comes out when I release the throttle or take a bump on the road... I'm sorting this problem out too

Glyn had an issue with the gearbox which turned out to be the manufacturers extendended remote linkage which had failed, I think this was repaired or replaced.

I'm not sure but I also think he had another grarbox put in, now I'm struggling to remember but I think it was a left hand drive Rover box with the bell housing cut to take a repositioned starter motor.

If I can find his details I'll tell him your on the Forum but Rusty has not been a member for many years and if the car has had other owners who knows what's been done since.

Well, i think my gearbox is a ford one because it has a big "ford" emblem on the housing..

it also looks like the traditional mt75

In a month i'll take engine and gearbox out of the car and i'll sort all these mysterious things out!

Thanks for your help!

Simple things first --- is the gear-shift hole in the tunnel big enough? Sounds like an old problem of ours -- all gears fine when stopped -- bumps & engine flex on mounts made the shift hit the tunnel top & knock engine out of gear.

I don't think that's the problem because if I put my hand over the gear knob when i'm in 4th gear, I can feel it pushing ahead...

It does not always happen, but most of the time it happens

Simple things first --- is the gear-shift hole in the tunnel big enough? Sounds like an old problem of ours -- all gears fine when stopped -- bumps & engine flex on mounts made the shift hit the tunnel top & knock engine out of gear.

Assuming it's a standard Superspec the tunnel hole is almost 6" square so it's unlikely to be the cause. Easy enough to do a run with the tunnel top removed, just to confirm it. And the gear change mechanism would all be exposed so it would be another useful check. Although again, I would suspect it will not be the problem as the shift mechanism has nothing close to it that would provide an obstruction.

Hello alan!

i'm really glad you answered because you look like the superspec guru on this forum :rofl:

the problem is not caused by tunnel but by something else... i'll sort it out asap

By the way I had to send back the exhaust manifold i bought because it was too big and there was no space for a downpipe without hitting the ground... I will have to cut the original manifold and build a new exhaust from that

i'm really glad you answered because you look like the superspec guru on this forum :rofl:

Always happy to discuss Superspecs, after 4 years and 10K miles in mine I think I am beginning to understand them :)

And as Bob said, certainly no need to apologise. Your English is way better then my Italian even though I lived in Naples for 3 years !!

Well Alan, i must say in your defense, that you can't really learn italian in Naples... People living there speak too much Neapolitan, which is very far from italian in some things...

By the way, thank you all for the comprehension and help!

I'll be back soon with pictures of the modded exhaust

By the way, here's other pics of the car! I'm sure you will like her :D

This is how she was when she arrived in italy

IMG_9658_01.jpg

IMG_20160926_161842.jpg

Shine on you crazy diamond :give_rose:

IMG_20161201_165136.jpg

In the process of changing the grp parts! that's my brother

IMG_20161213_135219.jpg

IMG_20161214_131401.jpg

And there she is now!

IMG_20161217_123910.jpg