Paint Advice

Guest Howleybar

Guest Howleybar

Hi, I'm wanting to change the colour of the car over winter. My friend has a spray booth but its for motorbikes so not big enough to take the full car. How easy is it to strip all the panels to spray. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

I've always sprayed my panels outside. You always get a bug land on the very last coat which you have to flat out but i have achieved a pretty high gloss finish. The main problem this time of year will be temperature and humidity. Although when it is really cold the humidity often falls. Ideally you want to be above 20c.

I am lucky i am far away from neighbours so the smell doesn't affect them. I use cellulose as it was the safest for home use, although water based paints seem to be the norm now but they require more heat as water is harder to dry than solvent.

ALWAYS WEAR A CHEMICAL MASK

obviously i only ever paint my agricultural machines with cellulose as it's illegal to paint cars with it, although my tractor looks a bit like a 7 ;)

• Like 1

Most paint suppliers wont sell you cellulose paint anymore less you are in the trade and only a very few still sell solvent base paint,

I only know of one that does in my area.

Most paint shops use the water base system for base coats and solid colours with a low VOC clear coat.

As agent zed said it is the norm now (still feels odd to me to be thinning it with water instead of thinners) the base you need a lot of air movement over the

panels to dry the water out of the paint, so you will need paint air blowers either hand held or a set of them on a stand flowing air at an angle over the job.

Then heat to dry the VOC clear after it has flashed off, if you don't let it do this and put the heat on straight after you have finished spraying you will find it will

run like hell,