Uk To Ban Sale Of Petrol And Diesel Cars

theduck

Jonny Smith is a well known TV presenter....he races a leccy car in the Street eliminator class.

This was designed to go fast in a straight line in a short time.

But it still does 30 miles for the compulsory street cruise.

https://www.streeteliminator.com/teams

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/26/diesel-drivers-face-new-nationwide-tax-rises-help-fund-air-pollution/

Well there`s a surprise.. money to be made much earlier then predicted.

40000 early deaths through diesel petrol engines. I must admit that`s a lot, but I dont think I have heard much about the scale of it until now.

So, using that as leverage, anyone caught being propelled by a combustion engine in years to come will be shunned as a social pariah. People in the street will

shout at you and hold their noses, you will be charged an astronomical amount for fuel, you will have to park miles from work and there may even be self help groups to help you quit.

Sound familiar??

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Guest lotusPaul

Toyota use the Atkinson cycle for economic running. This actually reduces power and torque for the benefit of fuel economy. The use of the electric motor serves 2 purposes. First is to make up for the torque deficit. Second is an ability to provide a seperate source of motive power.

I was amused to see the news interviews asking the public whether it was going to change there next car purchase to electric. Given that the average car lasts 10-12 years most people will have 2 new cars and wear them out before the date for electric even gets here.

As for vegetable oil power.... i looked into it and despite being slightly cheaper, unless you are using old veg oil it is about 4 times worse for the environment. It takes about 4 litres of petrol chemicals to make 1 litre of veg oil (tractors and fertilisers etc). So unless people start buying a lot of fish and chips there isn't a lot of spare used veg oil to go around.

what i don't understand is how the government will recoup the loss in revenue. 61% of fuel prices goes to government. Does that mean it will get very expensive to have your lights on at home as they won't know what electric is being used for car and what is for home. Might get more idiots bypassing the meter as well, seen some well scary things on tv where people have used jump leads and the like!!!

Will be interesting to see how car design changes though. I am surprised that hybrids don't already have solar panels for the roof and bonnet, sure it won't charge them completely but if you get an extra couple of miles per change it must be worth it.

Guest lotusPaul

what i don't understand is how the government will recoup the loss in revenue. 61% of fuel prices goes to government. Does that mean it will get very expensive to have your lights on at home as they won't know what electric is being used for car and what is for home.

In the marine industry in days gone you got ultra cheap tax free fuel. Now its taxed but if you have a fuel heater you only pay a portion of the tax,70% is taxed.

Its amazing how many boats have heaters these days

Sorry to be controversial, but you are all wrong!

The government has a devious plan for us to get our electricity with zero emissions in this country - we will buying a heap of it from Belgium!!

Just google Nemo Link - the UK switching station is being built 5 miles from me at Richborough. Sorry but I can't post the link myself.

Edit: Forgot to mention, we already get a load of electricity from France at peak demand times

Then, the master plan will also be to upgrade the entire road network with conductive strips, so that all of our electric cars can have a Scalectrix style pick up between the front wheels.

This will solve the battery vs range issue!

Electricity will be charged (along with your road tax) via a 'smart meter' which will be billed at your monthly MOT / pick up brush replacement.

The companies conducting the road upgrade will be owned by conglomerates of MP's charging the government (us) absolute shedloads.

The upgrade could be completed cheaper, by rigging tram style overhead power cables on the road network, but this will not be given permission obviously because they may be a threat to the greater haired, short legged, long eared flying wombats.

Or, maybe James May had it right. We'll all be moving around the country in open topped cars with sails - but we'll have to remove the engines obviously.

Or, back in the real world, the government could go to the fuel companies and force them to reduce or totally remove the nasty emission causing additives in the fuels, just as they did when they took the lead out of petrol.

I'll get me coat.............

Edited by Al Milton
  • Like 1

In the marine industry in days gone you got ultra cheap tax free fuel. Now its taxed but if you have a fuel heater you only pay a portion of the tax,70% is taxed.

Its amazing how many boats have heaters these days

Never paid tax on our aviation fuel either back in the day -- has that changed as well?

well seeing as aviation is a massive pollution problem perhaps they will be making the aeroplanes electric too. Perhaps they should stop flying all of the planes into london?!

on the ground once HS2 is finished we will all be using that so it won't be a problem on the roads :crazy:

My genuine question is where 25 million cars in the uk are going to get enough heavy metals to make all of the batteries required. Lead is pretty abundant for your average lead acid battery and even then it is quite small compared to the huge lithium ion batteries needed. We might not have as much local air pollution here but we will have destroyed half the planet mining to get the materials needed.

Ultimately we need to be more like out grandparents and live where we work rather than commuting (of which i am guilty) or work from home (which i can do 1 day a week). I use a gallon of petrol to get to work and back which is sadly ironic as i work for an environment charity. That is a jerrycan of fuel a day, 4 days a week, i burn into the atmosphere!!! kind of scary when i think of all the other people doing the same.

Let's face it we do not have the infrastructure or energy needed, can you imagine the big switch on after work? The national grid can only just manage half time during World Cup matches. Lots of energy in France and hybrid cars because they have the infrastructure and 58 nuclear power stations that's nearly 77% of the energy needed.

I do 40000 miles a year and car energy and pollutants is tiny compared to industry, factories and 24hr shopping centres. Stupid government decision which will never be delivered on time or to budget, barking mad.

• Like 1

Will an electric car tow my caravan to Cornwall in 6 hours. Or will I have to change cars like they do in formula e. Thats one in Birmingham, Bristol and so on. Absolutely ridiculous like saying the whole of the country is going to move to the moon. How are the people with no off street parking going to charge their cars.