Rs2000 Sump

Gusty

Hi all,

Anyone know the oil quantity with an alley sump? I've put 3.75 LTS in but it's not showing full on the dipstick. Halfway between full and min.

Cheers Andy

Ps I have the shorter of the two dipsticks but I don't think that makes much difference to the quantity!!

I think the dipstick is irrelevant in this case just need correct quantity.

Err, No. The dipstick is completely relevant. It is a measure of the top surface of the oil. This is the most important point. To know this level you must have the correct dipstick for the engine with its original markings. You never remark the level on the correct dipstick for the engine. It is correct to fill to this point regardless of the sump volume. You can add massive wings to the sump, shorten it, stretch it lengthwise or whatever you wish. It is not oil volume you are measuring. If you fit an altered sump you keep the original dipstick for the engine and it still tells you where to fill to. Inevitably fitting altered sumps will change the volume of oil needed to fill to the full mark. If your altered sump is much shortened you may find you need to add wings to the sump to restore the oil volume to an acceptable quantity of around 4 litres.

Running with the oil level too high can destroy your engine.

Nigel

• Like 2

Thanks Nigel,

Fully understand now. It is the correct dipstick just alley sump. I think another 1/4 ltr should bring it to the max mark. I will just fill to this level now. Thanks for your in depth explanation.

Regards Andy

Guest 2b cruising

Run up after filling. Leave t to settle and re dip it.

Some engines will take 1/2 ltr in the filter and depending on the filter build up it can stay in there.

My DOHC with ally sump takes 4.5 ltr to top mark after running.

after fitting my f1 brisca sump my oil content is 6.5 ltrs the original zetec sump holds about 3.5 just kept pouring it in till it reached the full mark on the original dipstick so now it costs a fortune to do a oil and filter change

Guest mower man

Now that's a good idea ! Should save me a few quid in oil. Probably sound a bit better as well!!

It would sound different with the crank hitting the brick ! 4.5 litres is enough oil for even serious fast road work which if the truth is out very few of us do! ,once a year oil changes are enough , and no need to use mobil 1 or other silly expensive stuff mick :crazy: