Switching Energy Supplier

So relieved that the energy companies have clarified/simplified their tariffs so the man in the street can make an easier choice.

My current fixed tariff is shortly ending so just put my figures in to U switch to look for my next 'deal'. Sainsburys Energy comes out top, average and mediocre all at the same time.

SE Fixed price Aug 16.....................save 363

SE Price promise Aug 16.................save 290

SE Price freeze Aug 16....................save 137

So no chance of getting mixed up with the names then.

Nigel

I'm waiting for the Ombudsman to resolve an issue with Scottish Power thats been ongoing since December 2014. I can't leave or change as there is a disputed debit on the account apparently :/

I'll be moving soon so they better hurry up their decisions!

Wow, you must be powering the whole street with a monthly direct debit like that!

Mine is done by cash quarterly (being students at the time), they send 4 bills for varying periods of which some overlapped and others recalculated periods already paid for to actual readings. Then begun the arguments. "actual readings must be paid, no we won't explain it to you, no we wont give a reason whats happened, nothing you can do but pay" variety of different reasons for why I was been rebilled for periods, never had a straight answer, complaints opened but then closed without action been taken. Eventually got the Ombudsman involved who came with a 5th explanation of what happened. Basically said the accounts were recalculated from the beginning of my time with them (about just over a year earlier) but still didn't explain why the costs had increased on actual bills. Accepted their findings (not much choice unless I wanted to go to court over it), SP were 6 days late with what they were told to do, which I then also rejected as completely unsatisfactory, incomplete and borderline insulting, haven't heard anything since raising this with the Ombudsman again during their follow up call and that was 2 weeks ago.....still having to use SP provided gas and electric whilst this drags out.

I was with Scottish Power for 2 years....I paid 40% more with them than I was before, and 30% more than I am paying now.

All this despite transferring to SP via U-Switch which promised lower bills.

Amazingly I am now with British Gas for gas & electricity....no problems at all with them.

Guest 2b cruising

M&S last year. Sainsburies this year.

I've never had a dispute or complaint.

Maybe that because swimbo has always paid it.

I just do as I am told and pay my own bills. LoL

Be very careful about price comparison sites. They do not compare your current tariff to what is out there. They compare the tariff you would default to when your current one ends, to what is out there. Very subtle difference, but the reality is that no-one goes on the expensive default tariff. You need to know how many kwh of gas and electric you use and knock up a quick spreadsheet calculating the total cost of standing charges per day + annual kwh x unit rate for each energy. Don't use the TCR either as it makes big average assumptions which are wrong.

I did a uswitch and it told me I could save £700+ / year. When I actually worked through the numbers and scoured the web myself, the best I could actually save was about £60 / year. Not worth the agro of changing.

Hth

Andy