The Rebuild Begins!

Guest The Modfather

Guest The Modfather

Thought I'd pop out to the garage for a little bit of tinkering, and ended up ripping out the engine bay of all ancillaries. I am now ready to hoist the pinto out, only 8 bolts holding it in now. Everything thing else has been disconnected and removed.

post-4086-032214700 1279572271_thumb.jpg

post-4086-018214100 1279572290_thumb.jpg

post-4086-070405900 1279572313_thumb.jpg

post-4086-006798600 1279572333_thumb.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Modfather

Thanks for the tip Nigel. Any other useful tips that you can remember?

It looks like the starter will be ok, albeit I've only held it and said "yeah, that'll do" :good:

I will be posting more pics along the way to keep you all updated, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm more worried about the pedal box than anything else. I don't even know if the engine is any good!

Guest The Modfather

So the fun begins Darren :D and the head scratching too :unknw:

Just shout if you need a hand at any point ;)

Thanks Chris.

Will arrange a house visit cum BBQ beer drinking orgy..... sorry I meant serious car rebuild with light refreshments :drinks:

Guest subaru

Daz, best of luck with your re mods. Are you putting in a Zetec lump with xtra power. One thing i say about mine is it is good fun when its on song.

cheers chris

Guest The Modfather

Daz, best of luck with your re mods. Are you putting in a Zetec lump with xtra power. One thing i say about mine is it is good fun when its on song.

cheers chris

I'm putting in a 1.8 zetec with 2ltr cams, with kawasaki zx6r bike carbs. I'm hoping for a little more power than the current 2ltr pinto :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Guest The Modfather

Thought I'd do a little more after work tonight. Pedal box and servo are out, scuttle and windscreen are off the car and only had two snapped bolts. Finally I can get in there and finish off the wiring, and hopefully make it a little bit tidier than how it is now! The engine is ready to come out without hinderance, and it will be going up for sale for £250 on here, or £400 on fleabay, so buy it here and save a few bob. I know that I would rather sell to a hoody and help you save a few bob for other bits :friends:

post-4086-002961900 1279658180_thumb.jpg

post-4086-045927100 1279658193_thumb.jpg

post-4086-097840300 1279658205_thumb.jpg

post-4086-068488500 1279658217_thumb.jpg

post-4086-059294300 1279658236_thumb.jpg

post-4086-018237100 1279658251_thumb.jpg

post-4086-027294800 1279658262_thumb.jpg

Guest The Modfather

Today I pulled the loom out, but left the rear loom in situ, I will just re-splice back into it. The loom was a total mess. How anyone would fit it in that mess is beyond me, and there was a fire in the loom some time in the past as the wires were all burnt together, and a block was put in to try and rectify the damage.

Steering shaft was taken out, so that I could pull the exhaust manifold out of the car. I have fitted the steering shaft back in and realigned it properly so that it is now straight.

I'm really surprised how much I have done in such a little time, but it wont go back as quick, or in such a mess!

Guest The Modfather

The pinto is out!!!!!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I put the zetec in, and arghhhh, the sump is fouling the anti roll bar. This pic is of the inside of the sump. It is an extra pan of ali that has been welded on. It is about 2" deep. post-4086-041338900 1279917548_thumb.jpg

This will cause a few problems with the oil pick up pipe, however in this first pic it appears that the extra length between the pick up and the original mounting position on the underneath of the block can be cut out, and the pick up reattached to the original mount. I think I need to cut out the front 2"-3" of the sump and close the remainder of, if that makes sense? Hopefully this pick shows how the sump has been made. post-4086-016030200 1279917913_thumb.jpg

post-4086-094503700 1279918026_thumb.jpg In this pic it shows the original engine mount boxes. I have a slight height issue with these as the mount holes on the block are lower than the tops of the boxes. These boxes are welded onto the floor of the engine bay. There are no bolts holding them on. I would prefer the engine mounts to rise from the boxes to the engine, rather than angle downward.

post-4086-029377200 1279918224_thumb.jpg This pic shows that I have a slight clearance issue at the back of the engine as well. I need to get a water rail in here, so the gap required is around 45mm to the bulkhead. I am getting the V6 box which has an adapter plate of about an inch, so it will move the engine forward a bit but not enough, so I will have to bring the gearbox forward a little. This may cause further issues with the front anti roll bar if I don't take enough out of the sump. I will have to re site the zetec once I get the V6 box and get the final measurements from this.

Guest RodLane

Hi Daz

I know that you had a bit of a problem with it boiling over on the way back from Le Mans - but isn't all this a bit drastic?

All the best with the transplant!

Best wishes

Rod.

Guest The Modfather

Hi Daz

I know that you had a bit of a problem with it boiling over on the way back from Le Mans - but isn't all this a bit drastic?

All the best with the transplant!

Best wishes

Rod.

No mate, not at all :rolleyes: I suppose it gives me something to keep my mind on, amd I like a challenge :clapping:

You'll be doing it soon :rofl:

Remove anti roll bar, fit tie bars, don't mess with sump. Front suspension and sump will work better.

Accept if moving gearbox/engine forward 1.5 inches then you probably need a new longer prop to keep it safely in the back of the gearbox. Have you seen one that has broken free? Move it an inch further. 2.5 inches is not much different, you still need that longer prop but you can use the zetec thermostat housing which works better than a rail and saves you almost £200. You need to have the skills of Lewis Hamilton to notice the difference in handling due to the change in weight distribution.

Hack out the engine mount boxes and make something more suitable with angle iron and welder. Bolt to engine-bay floor. Make your own engine mounts.

Nigel