The Rebuild Begins!

Guest The Modfather

I think the scuttle area is critical to strength on the mono cars. They are already a bit too flexible I wouldn't cut it.

Move engine 10-15mm forward. Add same size spacer between back of prop and diff flange. Much more than that and I would have a new longer prop made which would be cheaper than a raceline water rail!

Nigel

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Modfather

That is a good idea! Thanks for the tip. I have bought an inline sensor housing thingy so that is no prob.

Umm, might go this way and keep the home made rail, and ignore the bashed in bulkhead!!!!

Guest The Modfather

Well, I settled on Henry's thermostat housing in the end after several more offset thermostats still didn't fit the head :wacko:

So, out came the big hammer. After giving it a few whacks, I've decided I now don't like the big bulge that has appeared on the bulkhead, so tomorrow I will cut the area and reshape it using 2mm steel in order to relieve the bulge, and probably strengthen the area in doing so. I will take some pics and post them, all being well!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Modfather

I ended up cutting the bulkhead and then strengthening the whole thing with 4mm thick angle going across the whole width inside. I have bolted this in.

Made new brake pipes and have fitted these in, securely fastened with P clips, even looks nice and straight, good bends etc, job well done. Lets just hope my flaring is ok :rolleyes: Also fitted my sexy new clear red covered HEL Performance braided hoses on the fronts. I will remove the front calipers and paint them red, hopefully in the next few weeks.

Made the adjustment bracket for the alternator, as well as the main bracket, both just need painting but I will wait as I want to repaint all the front suspension arms etc, so I'll do them then.

Made my dipstick tube, nicely bent to avoid the exhaust ports, just needs painting, and something to use as the actual dipstick, will probably use 1.5mm round bar and flatten the end so I can make "full" marks. Heat and roll the end for a finger pull, job done, well not yet!

I keep putting off the wiring, just needs a few more wires added to the new loom, but it really doesn't excite me :lazy:

I will update shortly. Getting ever closer to starting it, can't wait!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

• 1 month later...
Guest The Modfather

Donea bit more work today after god knows howlong away from the car.

Fitted the rad and all the water pipes, but ran out of hose clips, so will get some more tomorrow. Fitted rad fan and wired to the thermostatic switch. Fitted the overflow water bottle and cage.

I keep putting off the megajolt/edis wiring but I promise I will start it tomorrow, honest :rolleyes:

Anyway, here are some pics of todays work:

488.jpg

489.jpg

490.jpg

491.jpg

492-1.jpg

Guest The Modfather

That looks like the original single core radiator?

It is, but having spent a week driving around Le Mans last summer in near 40c heat, and the only time it boiled over was when we were heading home, I've no need at this moment to change it. I imagine I had adequate heat removal from the rad with careful use of the manually operated electric fan, as well as Henrys unbalanced plastic crap. I'll see what it is like once this zetec is running, and if needs be change it.

I could always put a second rad up front and an extra pump in line to help the flow.

I think things are looking much better, and to see shiny bits going on gives me a good feeling of progress.

I just don't get enough time out there with it, well thats my excuse! :rolleyes:

Guest The Modfather

Not as much done today I'm afraid.

Coil pack and VR sensor wired to EDIS. Used the shielded wire on the VR sensor. Also soldered on the shielded cable for the PIP/SAW connections from Edis to the megajolt, and ran a 12+v cable into the cab ready to pick up a seperate fuse box for the coil pack/edis and jolt. Pulled the reservoir and brake pedal wires through to pick up the main tails from the loom.

I HATE WIRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!