R1 Carbs On A Zetec

Evening all

I am running R1 carbs on a 2L blacktop with megajolt. I have had an issues ever since installing, these comprise of

1. Needing full choke to start when cold - albeit this is in summer

2. Stalling in the first 5ish minutes of start up if the accelerator is pressed.

Does this sound familiar to anyone - i'm thinking of playing with the

One question i had is i am using an R1 fuel pump and no regulator or fuel return - does this sound right. My understanding is that the R1 pump will already produce the right pressure so no regulator is needed?

Reluctant to take it to a rolling road in case something is majorly wrong and its just a waste of time/cash - unless anyone knows a good person around the selby area.

Any advice appriciated as always

Thanks

No I haven't they had just been fitted car is still undergoing major build stages lol. I run a small facet pump and a reg set at 2 or 2.5 can't remember now but my pump doesn't shut off I know that.

I use R1 carbs on my Pinto, with a low pressure facet pump. This pump runs all of the time regardless of fuel levels in the carbs. I opened the main jets to 1.7 mm. All ways needs choke on start from cold, and no throttle for the first 30 seconds.

I drove from Leicester to Malton Yorkshire to get set up by bogg Bros . They are legends in the car bike carb world.

I had r1 carbs and pump. Always needed fuel enrichment even in summer. No gas when cranking and it was fine. Only had to do it for the first start of the day though. The r1 pump is an interrupter type so should cut off.

Sounds about right

Edited by Andi

Morning.

Yep when the ignition is on you can here it pump for a few secs max and then cuts off. The carbs haven't been balanced yet, i suppose i'm trying to get them working ok before taking to a rolling road session. Good to hear a few other experience similar things - gives some confidence that they are ok but just need balancing etc...

My understanding of a bike fuel pump is that they are used with a gravity fed tank on the bike to try and balance the pressure to the four carbe . If you are using it to pump from the back of the car, the pressure drop through the lines will be substantial. I changed to using a facet high flow, low pressure pump on a re-cirulation loop back to the tank. I put a pressure regulator on the return pipe and a pressure gauge on the feed pipe just before the carbs. That way I could regulate the pressue to ensure I got 2-5psi at the carbs with a high flow rate. If the pressure is too high, you'll just blast the fuel past and floats and end up with fuel on the floor.