Suspension Dyno And Corner Weighting

Thrashed

Hi all

Some of you might remember that i was having the car corner weighted and suspension set up.

I was experiencing some weird handling characteristics, like self steering, massive understeer and the front getting light and floaty when driving over the crest of a hill. It was also skittish on rough roads.

I have done a full write up that Derek will be putting in the magazine, but a summary of the work done was:

Shocks Dyno'd

Springs measured

Ride height

Geometry on all 4 wheels

In conclusion, what a difference. I am surprised that driving it for 3 years has not resulted in me being dead! So much was out of alignment, but the worst was the nyloc nuts holding the hubs on had worked loose causing the self steering i was experienced. Left, it could have been a very sorry ending!

Ended up with softer springs on the rears and the geometry being set correctly as each wheel was wrong. On the front it had positive camber and toe out and the rears were toe out one side and toe in the other.

Having done a drive home the car was totally transformed. Gave me confidence like i have never had and also totally got rid of the floaty and self steering issues. It is like going to a rolling road thinking the car is going well and OK and coming away with a massive power hike and engine that pulls smooth through the whole rev range.

I would like to thank Matt from Procomp motorsport for his help and dedication and Bob for being my wing man. It was a long day as we arrived at 10am and left Matts at 8:30pm. It was also an education on how and why different settings work or don't work and how your standard Kwik Fit can be so far out.

If you have every thought about getting this done, stop thinking and get it done, you will not be disappointment.

Drive safe and check your nuts guys and girls.

• Like 3

I (and others) have waxed lyrical about Matt at Pro Comp, this re-enforces it. Looking forward to mine being on the road and to see how my custom-specced setup will handle. I'll probably get the geometry done at Centre Gravity at they're local and I've had experience with them before on the other car... but either way, proper geometry setup is essential. Anyone who puts a car on the road without it is banking on being very lucky (in terms of getting the handling as best as it can be) :).

• Like 1

Yep, had the loose arse, rear steer feel with strange handling on/off throttle.

Turns out a rear hub nut (the ones that you bash the collar into the driveshaft notch) had unwound despite the collar.

Replaced the shaft and both sides hub nuts with nylock version then drilled and split pinned.

They ain't going to move in a hurry (I hope)

I was speaking to procomp after your last post, very positive and very busy going to book mine in for the full works. A long day i hope its cost per job and not hourly rate?

Mark, you won't be disappointed. Matt is excellent and knows his stuff. Set price for the whole job!