First Post - Wipers !

Guest Friartuck

£18!!! for a manual pump! :crazy:

sounds expensive to me. I just used the old sierra pump with the second outlet blocked off. Used an old 1 litre screenwash container for the reserviour and the usual pipe and nozzle. Cost a couple of quid as i splashed out on a new nozzle (no pun intended).

mine wired into the original wiring but otherwise just a 12v wire through a simple switch would do the job (oh and a fuse so you don't set fire to your car),

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Friartuck

Well my wiper joy lasted all of 5 minutes!

No fuses blown, so thinking the parking switch has failed, which I believe provides power from the ignition?

I have established that the wiper motor is a mini model 60927001B which has a single terminal (other than the switch plug) which I guess is for earthing the motor case, there is no earth connected, have I dislodged this?? is it necessary for things to work?

I have ordered a new switch, but wonder if it's worth just buying a new motor for peace of mind & sanity?

Does anyone know how to disengage the drive linkage from the motor, I loosened the nut, but was expecting the linkage to drop out, but no! Didn't want to tug it in case I buggered something up, can I assume it will drop into a new motor?

Sorry for being a bit green on all this but I would like to get the feckers working

Thanks in advance

Kevin

The inner cable is en-gauged on the cog by an eye over a pin --- side of casing needs removing to completely dis-connect the drive worm. Earth to the motor is a definite must ( motor is mounted on rubber bushes ) most problems with the mini wiper motor stem from the self-park auto switch -- which all the conductors enter.

Hope that helps in some way --- others please shout if my memory is false.

There are three wires (BlueRedYellow) from the motor into the back of the cam operated park switch which is clipped to the motor casing. Five wires into the park switch from the car loom, four from the wiper control switch and one from either ignition live or battery.

Pic below of some of the innards. Outer of cable has a flange which holds it in the motor case. Inner has an eye which is held by a pin on the piston driven by the big wheel. Pic below. Side plate has to come off the case for disassembly.

The motors are reliable. The park switch on the motor is usually the problem if the motor was parking and then fails to park. If it's never parked it's wired wrong. If the motor stops working it's usually the brushes worn. These can be bought separately. There could also be problems with the column or dash switch but Hey you're already depressed enough.

post-21-0-64843500-1524908072_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-48018200-1524908818_thumb.jpg

Edited by Longboarder

Guest Friartuck

Thanks lads all good stuff

New switch arrived this morning & compared to the existing one looks NEW

Will muster up the courage to get in my yoga position in the foot well to fit it, problem is that it's freezing in the garage at the moment!

Thanks again

Kevin

If the wipers are not working at all then it's not the park switch mechanism. The 2 speed power feeds and the earth are straight through the park switching terminals, simply using them as a wire connector. It's only if it used to park but now stops anywhere when you switch the wipers off that the park switch is suspect.

I had a very early mini.

single speed wiper and parking was where you switched off, I believe that self park was only fitted after a couple of years production.

It did have a heater which was an extra cost option for many years.