Mechanical Fuel Pump, Pinto

Guest Gargoil

Guest Gargoil

Hi Chaps. I am looking at replacing my mechanical fuel pump for another mechanical fuel pump. However the dizzy world of spare parts have got me confused again. The present fuel pump only has Pierburg W. Germany printed on it, with a direction arrow. The new part is to be fitted to a 2.1 pinto (that used to be a 1.8 ) can anyone point me in the correct direction?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Gargoil

Just had a look with an inspection mirror at my fuel pump. There are no markings that I can see other than the difection of flow arrow. I,m running a 2.1 and as far as a know the fuel pump is the standard one from the original 2.0. The pump is well up to the job and has been problem free so far! Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Dave.

Guest mower man

Ok abit off thread but here goes I have just replaced mech fuel pump with electric on my 2,1 nothing wrong with the mech pump only age [i believe its the orig donor cars pump ] the best thing noticed is much less cranking to start after standing o/night or longer unless you are wanting more pressure or flow the std pump should be ok .I got alow pressure pump 1.5 to 4 psi and it keeps up ok as tested up to now webers dont really need more than 4 psi , and I believe 18/20 litres per hour is ampleany mor pressure you need a reg astd new mech pump for a 2.0 litre will do the job nicely HTH mowerman :crazy:

Guest Gargoil

Thanks for trying Dave. I am beginning to suspect that most of the mechanical fuel pumps, be it cortina, transit, 1.6 or 2.0 all do the same job.

Mowerman, that may be the next step, it does take a little cranking to start, but I wanted a new pump to eliminate it from a problem with idle speeds. They don't cost a lot and as you said they are man enough to do the job. Also, I am not quite sure how to wire in an electric pump and although I could get it to work I don't want to bodge the job. :sorry:

Guest mower man

"The new part is to be fitted to a 2.1 pinto (that used to be a 1.8 ) "

Pray tell how you got a 1.8 to 2.1

I am curious

big drill!!!!!!!!! :rofl: :crazy: mowerman

Guest mower man

Re elec pump facet posi flo is what I used ,simple 1 live 1 earth wire up mounted close to tank and as low as pos also fitted anti run back valve after pump seem to have cured all long cranking probs under 30£ project but dont use the facet fiter [ a cause of much hair pulling] a universall in line is much better and v cheap HTH mowerman :crazy:

Guest Gargoil

Iam running 2.0 pinto and iam on electric pump if you wanna come and have a look iam only down the road from were you keep your car

Thanks Busman, the car is back down south now. If I end up with an electric pump then yes, a look at yours will go a long way.

Guest Gargoil

"The new part is to be fitted to a 2.1 pinto (that used to be a 1.8 ) "

Pray tell how you got a 1.8 to 2.1

I am curious

Don't ask me Paul, all I have is the old documentation which states they started with a 1.8, then did technical stuff and wizardry. Unless the engine isn't from the original sierra, but the evidence is lost in the mists of time and unburnt 4 star.

Guest Gargoil

Re elec pump facet posi flo is what I used ,simple 1 live 1 earth wire up mounted close to tank and as low as pos also fitted anti run back valve after pump seem to have cured all long cranking probs under 30£ project but dont use the facet fiter [ a cause of much hair pulling] a universall in line is much better and v cheap HTH mowerman :crazy:

What circuit did you get the pos from, Mowerman. It's reasonably easy to get power, but shouldn't it be through the ignition and hence the fuse/relay box? That for me is the tricky bit.

Guest mower man

What circuit did you get the pos from, Mowerman. It's reasonably easy to get power, but shouldn't it be through the ignition and hence the fuse/relay box? That for me is the tricky bit.

I used an ign fed live from fuse box no need fo a relay in my op very little draw [ others may disgree] HTH mower man you can feed it through oil light but by the time it run out of fuel d :crazy: amage would probably be done