Super Spec Drive Shaft

geordie40

A simple question

Should I be able to see the drive shaft from gearbox to diff from underneath the car.

Mine seems to be enclosed.

Reason for asking is sometimes I get a judder and clonking when pulling away (seems worse when hot) and it feels like its coming from the tunnel area, if I dip clutch or give it a but more "beans" its fine.

You actually mean the propshaft, the drive shafts are from the differential to the wheels. And it is meant to be enclosed, but you should be able to see the CV joint at the back completely and the CV at the front from the top after removing the tunnel top.

Funnily enough I have the identical symptoms so I assume one of my CV joints is on the way out.

Yeah I meant propshaft, couldnt think what it was called last night, two days at a car show in the blazing sun had fried my brain!!

Will have a look when I get back, not sure how you can tell if the shaft is knackered, any ideas anyone?

There shouldn't be any movement in the joints, if the needle bearings have started to break up you will be able to feel it by pulling or pushing. You might have to get the wheels off the ground so you can turn it by hand to look at each part. They can go tight as they start to fail which can cause vibration, need to detach one end to have a good look. Check the splines as well for wear. I know what you mean about being fried after Kimbolton car show yesterday.