Year End

Guest Tim Norman

Guest Tim Norman

When I took on the “Chair” back in 2002 I had no idea what I was stepping into. It seemed to be a trend, as I had been voted in as Area Sec for Notts by a 2:1 ratio some 2 years earlier. Granted they took the vote while I was in the toilet and there were only two of them, both committee members, in the bar.

In the beginning there was Peter Knight, Mick Mellors and myself. A few years of Mick not getting his own way saw him disappear and Graham Holdway step into the fray.

When we took the “Club” on the previous incumbents had held the reigns for about 10 years. The basic format of magazines was similar to now and there were about 10 Area Secs. As part of the hand over we were given a very basic list of names and addresses, and eventually, after a great deal of pestering and badgering, a lump sum of just over £1000. No accounts, no reasons, just a BACS transfer. We decided that this closed approach was not an option. They used the same mentality at the shows. If they didn’t know you the chance of getting any kind of conversation or support from them was slim at best. Our approach was to open up the “Club”. We keep a database of all records, their cars and their financial input into the “Club”. We publish these records in each magazine so everybody can see where the “Club” stands. I have been a bit slack this year in keeping the receipts up to date but this will be done by the AGM.

At the shows we are always approachable and usually end up being the butt of many a joke but we don’t take offence, well not often.

To make the shows a more family friendly environment we decided to start taking a BBQ and food to encourage more and more folk to stop the night. To house these people we bought a few small gazebos. They are a lot easier to transport and put up than the monster we inherited. This presented its own problems in that over the last few years either sue or I have gone to the show with our kit but rarely both. At Newark our efforts have meant that we have won the best-attended Club stand for the last ten years.

Another thing we introduced was the inclusion of a list, which gave details of the Hoodies in a member’s locality. I know of many good friendships that have blossomed as a result of this list and the bond that will last beyond the life of the kit car.

I worked out last year that it takes 5 minutes to process a membership, from opening the envelope to finally sealing stamping and posting it. This process usually starts in November and runs through to March with an average of 8-10 hours a week before slowing down to a few memberships a week over the rest of the year. It is not often that week goes by without at least one membership request or a phone call from a Sec or member.

Peter has done a fantastic job of turning the magazine into the fine piece of publication that we aim to get out 4 times a year. However, the popularity of the internet has meant that people are more likely to write short snippets for the web site rather than the magazine, all of which makes Peters job harder than it need be to fill in the pages.

My car woes are well known and publicised and the subject of may derisory tales, but hopefully those are in the past now as the 4L V8 incarnation of Bobson seems to be behaving as I run him in. I would like to sort the handling out quicker than the 10 years it took with my previous car.

I have suffered with my health recently, not as bad as others and for that I am grateful. However, if I don’t take drastic action and soon, it will happen. The initial shock of being told by the Doctor that I could do with losing some weight, and perhaps look at my diet to reduce the cholesterol, blood pressure and the effects of the diabetes did spur me on to lose quiet a lot of weight. I actually started to feel good about myself. The grumpy Gti T shirt I bought actually hung of me. Fate decided otherwise and dealt me a bit of a blow. The project I had inherited at work went in to free-fall and is currently losing a lot of money. This means I have to work even harder to explain how, why, where and what the final outcome will be. This, coupled with having to train a raw recruit in the ways of smoke and mirrors in preparation of my impending increased work load next year has increased my stress levels to a point that I have never experienced before. The thought of this increased pressure and stress at work and then coming home to do another few hours doesn’t fill my heart with joy. Stress depresses me, when I am down I eat. I have managed to put back nearly all the weight I had lost and that in itself is depressing.

There is one person who has been instrumental in the running of the “Club” who never asked to be on the committee, yet has contributed more to the Hoody ethos and atmosphere of the “Club” than most. Constantly on the stands at shows with a smile and always ready for a chat whether she knows the person on front of here or not. Without Sue we would not have the “Club” in its current form. Not only does she support us at the shows, but has looked after the clothing since Mick spat his dummy out and buggered off in to the sunset. I have said it before and I’ll say it again. Sue you are one in a million, I am very lucky to have you as my wife, more importantly as my soul mate, and the club to have you full stop. Thanks, I love you.

The number of Area Secs has also increased during our reign and increasingly the number of little trips out that happen through out the country is increasing as more and more locals are buy into the new friendly focus of the “Club”. It is these guys who really make the “Club”. Thanks lads.

Now the hard part and if you have been reading between the lines and paying attention you will already have worked out what is coming. The “Club” needs you. Or, more specifically, a new me.

At the AGM in February I will not be standing for re election. I have decided that it is time for me to step aside and let some young blood into the Chair. This means that at the end of January I will stop doing all the things the Chairman has done for the last 6 years. We have already sorted the membership cards for 2008, and the window stickers for the next few years.

Unless a replacement is found before the AGM the good ship RHOCaR will have nobody at the helm and effectively will cease to exist. If this does happen and I sincerely hope it doesn’t a decision will need to be made as to what to do with the money in the bank. I suggest a magnificent gesture to a charity. As I for one, do not want to write 700+ cheques for £10.

I truly regret making this decision but with my upcoming workload I really don’t relish the prospect of stress at work and continuing it at home. It doesn’t seem like work at home whilst your enjoying it and I want to leave whilst I still do. Unlike previous Chairmen I have no intention of falling of the map, I will still be going to shows with both cars! And doing something there I haven’t done for years. I am actually going to look round them at my own pace and not rush round to get back to the stand.

So, all of you who are now thinking, *bleep* what’s going to happen? put your heart on your sleeve and put your name in the hat.

Its easy, all you need is patience, lots of storage space, a desire to drive the “Club” forwards, deep pockets to drive two cars to shows with all the gear in tow, the ability to talk to anyone like you know who they are without letting on you have no idea. The nerve to stand up for what’s in the “Club” interest even if it clashes with yours, keep the peace, and finally forget about seeing any of the shows because of all of the above. Believe me it is worth it when people you have never met before thank you for a fantastic weekend. Sue and I have enjoyed our time at the top and hope that we have made, over the last 6 years, a better Club for the families and that my successor carries on in the same vein.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi tim

i hope you can reconcider your desicion.

you with sues help have been the best thing to happen to this club.

i do understand the health inplications and am realy sorry that work has affected this.

please reconcider, you and sue have done sooooooo much for this club .

i for one realy appreciate it!"

your way is brill .

you welcome new builders with the tn way .

you talk to old members the same way .

a spade is a spade

i for one will morn the loss of tim norman and his better half.

you and sue have taken this club further than anyone else could have.

i respect your desion and applaud your input.

best regards graham

Guest Ian & Carole

A sad day for one and all.

I, and I know all who read this, can only congratulate both Tim & Sue on there efforts over the last years and thank them for building this "family"

that we are all so proud to be members of.

I know that I could never do what Tim has done, and few could.

WELL DONE AND "THANK YOU" TO YOU BOTH.

Ian & Carole Johnson ( & OSCAR)

Just realised I have been sitting looking at this page for about ten minutes.

You are not one to take decisions without thought so I'm sure it's the right one for you Sue and the nippers. So well done for making up your mind. Get the priorities right. Look after the people you care for most and don't forget one of those should be you.

I just about remember the bad old days. You and Sue have changed the whole meaning of the club and made it a pleasure to be a part of. You will be sorely missed as chairman.

See you at Stonleigh.

Nigel

Tim.

I've been around for 5 years, so haven't known the club with anyone else at the top but you. Its gone great these past five years, so thank you for your inspiration and leadership.

As retiring chairman, I propose that you be elected to an honorary post of President in reward for your achievements. That way, you maintain a respectful seniority , whilst offloading all the chairmans tasks.

Anyone reading this, I hope you agree with me and work to give Tim a rewarding post in the club.

I know where you are coming from with the health issue,....bin there etc.... You are right to put yourself first, and spend more time relaxing.

Be assured that whilst I personally cannot step up into the challenge of club chairman, the Thames Valley will continue to support the club and remain a vibrant branch of the membership.

Best wishes to Sue , yourself and the family, and retire in the knowledge that you have done a fine job.

Kind regards

John.

Sorry to here this Tim, both you and Sue have done us all proud, i know you have thought long and hard about this, and its not been taken lightly,

We wish you all the best and if your replacements can do the job half as good as you both have, then the club will be in good hands.

I second the honery President posts for you both, and enjoy your extra time in 2008, i know how hard it can be helping run the NW area, coordinating the whole club must have at times been bloody hard with a young family

All the best

Mitch and Chris,

Guest chris brown
Tim.

I propose that you be elected to an honorary post of President in reward for your achievements. That way, you maintain a respectful seniority , whilst offloading all the chairmans tasks.

Anyone reading this, I hope you agree with me and work to give Tim a rewarding post in the club.

Kind regards

John.

I second John's proposal and add a big thank you to Tim and Sue for all there work over the years.

I do remember the old club (only for about a year) and as I wasn’t part of the inner circle (clique) I never felt I was welcome unlike now when all are welcomed with open arms

Guest crimewade

Tim , heres to you chap on a job well done, and to a wise decision to enjoy the club the same as the rest of us do ... at a relaxed pace .. you have created a first class club , with members from every walk of life and all four corners of the cosmos . i dont think any one has ever realised how much work is involved with it all .. good luck with the stress management and stuff ... im sure a spartacus will stand up from the mob and take on the monster you have created .. have fun taking the cars out , hip hip hooray chap (and Mrs chappess too )

I too remember the old days, that's why i never used to camp over. No one would ever come and talk to you or make you feel welcome. Now when you attend a show it's like meeting up with family members who you haven't seen for ages. That's down to Tim and Sues hard work and dedication to the club. So thanks Tim and Sue, put yourselves and family first for a change, relax and enjoy life and as for what to do with the funds i suggest you write yourself a cheque and take the family away for few days. You've earned it and i'm sure no one will object. Have a good Christmas and best wishes to you all.

Barry.

old days Barry, oh yes i remember, I ordered my kit, and payed my membership at Donnie, they took my money and turned round to continue the conversation he was having with the guy sat next to him, that was my only memory of the old club

Year after, at Newark, Tim,Gingerfix,Pete and Mick sat on club Pitch we pulled up in Andys Disco, introduced ourselves and was immediatly passed a can of beer, and then you were only ares Sec Tim, year after we had burgers too.

how things change. now we cant move for members camping at the shows.

and its all down to you Tim and Sue, thanks for laying the foundations of the best KC Club we can only build on your success

Mitch

Thanks for everything Tim, i respect everything you've done for the club, and respect the amount of thought you've put into making your decision. I hope everything in your life can go as smoothly as it can in the future.

Tim & Sue,

Thanks for all your hard work over the years. I go along with the other Hoodies in congratulating you both on the great club you have created. Your successor has a hard act to follow. I truly hope someone steps into your boots as it would be a terrible shame to wrap up RHOCaR.

On the health & stress issue, I recently walked away from eleven years in management and am now enjoying a fresh start in software marketing and training. Why don't you get a fresh job? There is a huge shortage of people with your skills and experience.

Best wishes to you both.

Steve