Seat & Belt Mountings

itllbedonesoon

hello everybody, i am a new member and looking for a bit of advice.

Does anyone have any photo's on where/how they mounted the inner seat belt attachment points & seat mountings on a 2B?

There does not seem to be much strengthening and a lack of chasiss members in the floor centre. I worry a length of 1" x 1" angle bolted under the floor panel (as per the video) would just flex.

I am a bit worried about this as it is a bit of a safety issue and an SVA worry.

please help?????

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi John and welcome to the community.

You need to make up some additional plating to accomodate the inboard seatbelt mounting bolts. Check out my website (September / October 2005 - bracketry) and it should be fairly clear. Please note though that I'm still building mine so I've yet to be 'SVA'd' :rolleyes:

You should use 2" angle bolted to the chassis mounting plates underneath the car. This actually came with my kit.

I then welded up an inner seat belt mount using offcuts of 2" angle cut to fit the width of the tunnel and welded 7/16 nuts to the inside. The bracket is then fixed by bolting it down through the floor into the 2" angle with 2 M10 bolts and nylocs.

SVA compliant! ;)

i used the u channel i have running where my seat bolts also pick up. remember they have to be captivated nuts,nylocs or as my sva man said spring washers with nuts.

i think the captivated nuts are to be in force if you cannot assess the bolt with both hands.ie one man job.

cheers turbo.

ps welcome there is some great advice available here when u get stuck. :wacko:

Excellent, :D thank you for the welcome,

underfloor frame attached to the chassis & floor panel, bit of 'U' inside the tunnel it is then.

They are nice web sites lots of detail (Battery Bill) thanks.

and mark my words, it'll be done soon..... oh yes.....it will be done soon! :boohoo:

Guest chris brown
They are nice web sites lots of detail (Battery Bill)
That’s done it I can imagine his head growing by the minuet. :p :p :p

Welcome to the world of hoodies John and yes as much as it hurts me to say it "Yes it is a good site" :wub: :wacko:

Guest hcgrant

I used an internal 20 * 40 * 1.5 mm stainless box section running across the width of the car riveted to the floor at 30 mm interals + glued (Polyurethane adhesive ) and bolted to the plates which locate the rear subframe. The seats are also bolted to this box section. The inboard seatbelt mountings are as shown in the photo. The nuts were changed to nyloc before the build was finished.

Hugh

post-3-1141430169.jpg

as i had built up tunnel and ran all the fuel pipes etc before thinking of inner seat belt mounts i arrived at same problem. I think one of the best solutions is to build in before this point as suggested elsewhere.

However my problem was fitting a mount and leaving sufficient space for the seat and sufficient space for MR SVA to see i could get spanner to it to tighten up.

Eventually waht i did was to obtain a very strong angle bracket and weld on a nut for the seat belt bolt. The angle bracket was then bolted through the floor into angle iron. The solution worked fine and seems very strong.

Will try to add photo.

phil

post-3-1141739702.jpg

This thing about one man being able to undo the seatbelt bolts is baloney.

The SVA manual says it should be possible to undo the seatbelt without damaging or deconstructing parts of the chassis, so, for example, where a bolt is attached into a closed box section, then the nut (which would otherwise be inaccesable) should be captive.

It's as simple as that.

One good idea with lower seatbelt mounts is to take lots of photos to show the examiner (otherwise he may ask you to dismantle bits so he can actually see them).

My approach to this is to use the existing mounts on the seat runners, but also ensure the seats themselves are bolted to a load bearing structure of appropriate strength.

If you take a look at my website, you'll see my approach to strengthening the seat mounts. Basically, a subchassis with a brace inside the propshaft tunnel that connects the rear longitudinal brace with the chassis centre rails. SVA compliant, with compliments (like "This is the best put together Robin Hood I've seen" - I kid you not). Of course, because I have the DOHC kit my floorpan differs slightly from the normal 2B (it's recessed so the Recaro seat height adjustment can be used).

Welcome.

Guest Battery Bill
The SVA manual says it should be possible to undo the seatbelt without damaging or deconstructing parts of the chassis, so, for example, where a bolt is attached into a closed box section, then the nut (which would otherwise be inaccesable) should be captive.

And of course its a piece of "P155" accessing your inner seatbelt mountings :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Got out of bed the wrong side today Jon?

No, Bill, I'm not grumpy; never have been. Handbags are not required.

:)

It's quite difficult getting to the inner ones on my car but it can be done. I tried it the day before SVA just to be double sure. You have to wind the seat adjuster so it is as far forward as possible and... err... "reach". Having said that I only teried the driver's side. I think the passenger's is more awkward as it is slightly tighter.

I should just add "on the DOHC kit". I am not sure if there is the same amount of clearance on normal 2B chassis. Would be interesting to take a look one day.

Cheers

JonB