Flying Wind Deflectors

alantoon

I was wondering what others use to secure the wind deflectors at the back edge, mine just had a alloy bracket that rested over the edge trim but I have lost both of them off the car recently (not pleasant getting smacked in the face with a lump of plastic at 70 mph) It seems that when there is a cross-wind the deflectors are lifting out of the hinges. I'd be grateful for any thoughts before I make some replacementsCapture2_zpsd6f2edab.jpg

Guest iank

I've taken a slightly different approach and attached them to my half doors.

I made the half doors myself and fabricated a bracket to mount the half doors to the same hinges on the windscreen pillar that the full doors use.

The deflectors then mount to that bracket. They go nowhere.

I don't get anything coming through the gap between the screen frame and the front of the deflector when its moving. I've put my hand there at 70mph and there isn't even a breeze. As if to prove aero dynamics really is a black art.

Ian

post-8958-0-92408200-1400401298_thumb.jpg

post-8958-0-72799100-1400401299_thumb.jpg

Edited by iank

Guest tiggertom

hi i had same thing happen to me so i drilled a small hole at top of pin on hinge bracket side for a small stainless steel R clip to stop lifting off when pin is in place

I quite like the R clip idea but my hinges are only a 1mm pin so I would have to find and buy 2sets of heavier lift off hinges (1 set for the doors) Do you think I would be able to use one of the 1/2 turn panel locks to locate it onto the side panel?

Edited by Alantoon

Guest iank

They don't make that much difference anyway. Whats wrong with the wind in your hair.

Dave :crazy:

I agree they don't keep the wind out of your hair.

However, I have found they make enough pressure difference to stop my right nostril collapsing and keep the rain out when when I've got the half doors and Surrey.