Wheel Stud Length

Guest tom-zero

Guest 2Bbuilt

having just put new studs in all my wheels, I ended up spending a lot of time researching this subject:

i found out that replacement studs especially GRAYSTON extended ones (longer than standard) are all oversize.

the factory fitted ones are slightly smaller, hence why when you try to pull them in they will not sit fully home.

i had to run a drill through the hubs, they all went in easier, still very tight though. better to drill the hub as you need to retain the splines on the studs for grip.

Also, for wheel nuts it is not about the amount of turns its about thread engagement, see the following website which i found educational.

brief summary - "Minimum thread engagement must be equal to the thread diameter of the wheel stud. Example: M12 x 1.5 nut requires a minimum of 12mm (.472”) of thread engagement"

http://www.mcgard.co...allationremoval

hope this helps

Edited by 2Bbuilt

Interesting that - I actually wimped out & had a chat with my local indy yesterday (that looks after our other cars) after sheeting another stud. I took the driveshafts out of the Zero & dropped them in. They did basically the same as you - they reamed the holes out a little, then pushed the studs through with their 25tonne press (& apparently blew a seal on that!).

Pardon my naivety, but in your example above, does that mean that 8 turns (12/1.5) is the minimum number of turns required for engagement?

While they were doing the studs, they also noticed that once of the wheel bearings isn't running very smooth so guess what's just been added to the job's list!

Got one side back together & it's many many years since I've counted to 11 with so much concentration - but 11 it is!!!

Don't forget to put your sock & shoes back on before leaving the garage!!

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

One final bit on the thread depth.

If you are going to use dome type nuts, make sure the have enough depth to take the extra stud length.

In your case 18mm plus a little spare.

You don't always need the full 9".

^^^ Got the wheel nuts that came from GBS & it looks like they're deep enough - will double check, but good thought.

Now on to changing the wheel bearing for the other side - done a few of those in the past so should be ok.