Pinto Starter Motor

Gusty

Yes turned it over by hand. The shells were identical to the old ones. I checked before fitting. I used Glyco shells. The engine runs Nicely once it's running!! It always starts just an effort!

Edited by Gusty

another thing to check is all the earth straps. Just to be sure. probably worth undoing any bolts and giving the surfaces a clean and a bit of copper grease back on to keep the surfaces from corroding again in the future.

As for the fuel pooling in the carbs... most likely something like sticky floats not shutting the fuel off, or incorrect height setting. I'd open them up and have a quick check. Along with a visual check that all the butterflies are opening correctly and springs are closing everything properly.

hth

My starter is a geared type. Not certain of the rating as the plate is missing but it turns my high compression pinto over perfectly. It did struggle when I first tried it on the rebuilt engine but I gave it to a company who I used to use when I was at work and he found that the armature was breaking down due to being overheated in the past (he reckoned that a previous owner had kept the starter turning over for some time and they are only intermittently rated). Anyway, a new armature sorted it and it's perfect.

Guest mower man

Don't understand the geared but no g/box bit ? do you mean pre engaged ,I am completely lost ,a gear reduction starter at those prices would sell like an offer of 2x £10 notes for a £5er Has it a life time guarantee as well mick :sorry:

Guest 2Bbuilt

hi

i had exact same issues as you with starter, tried all the normal faults/earths etc to no avail.

bought this starter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251724659133?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

at first thought it was wrong as it is lighter and smaller, but fitted it and car now starts first turn of key, massive difference, would recommend it.

turns out it is also used for the cosworth sierra.

never looked at its stats and voltages etc, the proof is in the working which this does very well.

Guest 2b cruising

Wooden starters of today are around half the body diameter of the older one.

I remember changing starters at the roadside on ERF trucks.

It was very near a two man lift to get it where it was fitted above the front axle beam.

You would not escape broken bones if you dropped it down onto yourself if you were underneath.

As time went by they got smaller and smaller.

Now they are literally the same size as the older car starter motor.

Same thing with the one I just fitted to my hoc engine.

A lot smaller than the one I took off and the body diameter was a lot smaller.

Thanks guys. I've taken the old one to the Auto electrician in town for testing. He said it's the original 0.8kw starter so over 30 years old. He recommended either fitting a diesel starter motor as have more torque or like you guys said 1.4KW. As usual thanks for the help, much appreciated. Amy ideas on the carbs pooling fuel??

Guest lotusPaul

You could check the starter by taking out the spark plugs and trying.if it's still slow with no compression then defo starter motor.but at that price you can't go wrong with an upgrade.

give more details on carb/ pooling issue