Gearbox Swap

Guest Andydouglass

Guest Andydouglass

Hello, I've currently got a 1.6 pinto from a y reg sierra in my S7, and a 4speed box. A mate of mine has a loose type 9 which he's letting me have - this is from a 2.0l that he's just put in his Capri.

Now I know the fly wheel has to come over for the number of splines, but is the swap straightforward?

Issues that I might foresee would be length and coupling of the prop-shaft, position of gearbox mounting (aside from the fact that I don't know if it works! - is there a straightforward method of checking before fitting?)

fly wheel has to come over for the number of splines
No. The splines on the input shaft are what matter at the front end. They have to match the splines in the driven plate of the clutch. Depending on what four speed box you are using currently you may or may not already have the right clutch. Boxes are different lengths and you would need to change the gearbox mounting point and possible the prop end.

The four speed box is well matched to a 1.6 engine with a better spread of low gear ratios but looses out on relaxed motorway driving. (Relaxed motorway driving is a relative term when applied to a seven and just means lower engine revs at 70. The noise, buffeting, wind, general discomfort, anxiety about bits dropping off are just the same!)

I would stay with the fourspeeder personally.

Nigel

The output shaft splines on the propshaft could also be different however there is a 4 speed and 5 speed type 9 they both have 23 spline 1" early boxes are 7/8" 20 spline

The 5 speed box is longer than the 4 speed and the mounting is further back

Guest Andydouglass

No. The splines on the input shaft are what matter at the front end. They have to match the splines in the driven plate of the clutch. Depending on what four speed box you are using currently you may or may not already have the right clutch. Boxes are different lengths and you would need to change the gearbox mounting point and possible the prop end.

The four speed box is well matched to a 1.6 engine with a better spread of low gear ratios but looses out on relaxed motorway driving. (Relaxed motorway driving is a relative term when applied to a seven and just means lower engine revs at 70. The noise, buffeting, wind, general discomfort, anxiety about bits dropping off are just the same!)

I would stay with the fourspeeder personally.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, I've got the flywheel and clutch to go with the type 9, I believe this is an easy swap at least(?). Re the ratios, did 1.6 sierras always have a 4 speed box then? the rest is good food for thought. LOL about bits dropping off!

Guest Andydouglass

The output shaft splines on the propshaft could also be different however there is a 4 speed and 5 speed type 9 they both have 23 spline 1" early boxes are 7/8" 20 spline

The 5 speed box is longer than the 4 speed and the mounting is further back

Thanks Paul - with the spline issue, I also have the flywheel and clutch assembly that came with the type 9, which I presume is a straight swap. Thanks for the advice re the mounting and length. It sounds in that case that the existing propshaft may be the wrong length?

Guest Andydouglass

If you want a bigger spead to the gears have you considered larger wheels? What size are on at the moment.

Must admit, hadn't thought of that. The wheels are are pepperpot alloys (ford) again donated by a mate. I wasn't thinking in that much detail - more that there was a 5 speed going, and I was stripping everything out anyway, so "while you're down there", so to speak...

I did this swap on a mk1 S7 many moons ago and this is what i had to.

At the front take the flywheel and clutch from the 2 litre, on mine 4speed parts where smaller.

As for the mount there should be a second plasma cut outline for the five speed mount directly behind the 4 speed, knock this out and it should drop in. I also put a brace across where the 4 speed mount was to stiffen things up.

Prop shaft I had to replace the end of the front uj to match the gear box, but prop was the same length. Any prop remanufacturer should be able to supply or fit this part.

Speedo cable, the output moves back with the mount, 5speed cable is longer if you need to change.

Jez